Author Topic: Knotted string  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Knotted string
« on: May 11, 2016, 06:28:32 am »
Pat, if this isn't the proper place to ask this question, please feel free to move it.

I've heard that anytime a string gets a knot in it the strength decreases by half. I was wondering how accurate this statement is. I have an old bow stringer which has accumulated several knots over the years and wonder if it is still safe to use, also a 'long string' for tillering purposes in a similar condition.

Any engineers, physicists, or enlightened individuals who could explain the dynamics involved here please chime in.

Thanks
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Knotted string
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:17:43 am »
Never had a bow stringer that didn't get knots after it has been used for a while, don't know what but mine always do, never had a problem with one breaking. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 07:28:57 am »
I wouldn't worry about a bow stringer with a few knots in it. A long string usually isn't under much stress so I wouldn't worry about a few knots in the long string either but I would not use a bow string with a knot in it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:14:20 am »
The first knot decreases the strength by half - any further knots don't have an effect. Don't ask me to explain that statement, it is what I was taught in my working at height course.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 09:10:00 am »
The first knot decreases the strength by half - any further knots don't have an effect. Don't ask me to explain that statement, it is what I was taught in my working at height course.

Correct. It's because the knots are of equal strength/weakness. It's like a weak link in a chain. If you have two equally weak links, the chain will break at the strength limit of one of them.

But bow stringers never have as much strain on them as a bow string.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:47:24 am »
The stringer is only pulling the bow to - or just slightly beyond - brace point.  It is a very odd and rare bow holds anything like full draw weight tension at brace.  Your stringer should be fine in any case.

I would not mind if someone would be inclined to share why a knotted string is only half the strength.  My limited little pea brain is not able to contrive a reason that such would be the case.  I can imagineer a few excuses for the string to perhaps be a bit less strong, but why would it be 'half'?  Also, what is a knot?  There are any number of knots possible.  Do they all subtract an arbitrary half of the strength of any given string?

OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:50:02 am »
Might make sense with single strand small diameter cordage that are able to cut themselves within the knot. I doubt the number is that high with a 10 strand reverse twist FF string, I would wager strength loss to be more like 5-10% in that scenario.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 10:56:21 am »
 A continuous loop string allows some slippage of each strand to even themselves out in tension during use...I think when a knot is introduced it can cause uneven tension on each strand which can cause problems...You can't put a percentage on the strength, to many variables...May break on the first shot or it may never break...I just couldn't continue shooting if I knew a knot was there...JMO
                                                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:49 pm »
I would be willing to bet that the "half" is an engineers rule of thumb. Kind of a worst case scenario to cover their butts ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 01:36:16 pm »
 The most powerful bows made had knotted strings.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 01:39:14 pm »
Isn't a bow under the most stress while at brace?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 11:04:49 pm »
Lots of interesting thoughts here, but the OP was considering a bow stringer, not a bow string.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 12:38:57 am »
The most powerful bows made had knotted strings.
Hornbows or English bows? Do you have any details? Apparently some heavier Tatar bows had essentially flemish ramie strings with double loops.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 05:22:33 am »
Only thoughts I have had were knots tied in terminal tackle for fishing. Different knots have different strength and provide different action for lures or better weedless qualities or other stuff. I guess it is how the knot distributes the pull of the parts of the knot that makes some knots better than others.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 08:39:37 am »
Asharrow,
                  He mentioned a string, a bow stringer and a tillering string, so we are all on topic sir...
                                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;