Author Topic: is 200 fps possible with arrow 10 grain per pound of draw weight  (Read 5761 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

I was just talking to a friend about that,, I told him I didn't think that had been done ,, or that even fiberglass bows would not do that,, wanted to check with your guys and see what you knew or thought about that,, ??? maybe there have been new developments I have not read about ,,  :)

Offline PatM

Re: is 200 fps possible with arrow 10 grain per pound of draw weight
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:59:17 pm »
Yes, it has been done by glassed bows. 28" draw must also be mentioned as that's one of the parameters.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 03:35:17 pm »
what about wood bows,,???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:31:11 pm »
Marc St Louis has come close I believe but I don't think he has hit the 200fps mark yet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:38:30 pm »
yes that is what I thought, some have come close,,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:56:41 pm »
I got 209 with a Bamboo backed ipe. But it was a Flight release and a 30" draw. It was one of my hunting arrows with a 125 grn broadhead and a 70# bow. Steve, "Badger" said If I had used a flight arrow it would have been more.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 04:58:43 pm »
thanks Mullet was the weight of the arrow 700 grains,, ?  i have shot my bows over 200 fps,,,, but not with a 10 grain per pound of draw arrow,,
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:03:28 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:06:40 pm »
Close to that, Brad. I never weighed them and I shot the bow only once through the Chrono to just warm it up. The first shot was 195. I didn't care if it broke, I was just trying to get the most out of the chrono. I pulled the string as far as I could till it basicly pulled out of my fingers. And it had 8 strands of Fast Flight with a wrist slapping Brace Height.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 05:27:22 pm »
thanks Mullet,, did the bow hold up,,??

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 07:20:17 pm »
Yes, it was very noisy with the Fast Flight and I never played with the Brace Height to try and quiet it down. It ended up in the Western part of the States in one of the Bow trades and last I heard it was headed on an Elk hunt.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 11:49:15 pm »
       I believe it is possible. Using a hooter shooter for precision draw length would be the only way to get a verifiable claim. Those of us who have learned a flight release or active release can add some fps. The bow would probably have to have at least 3" reflex and not have taken any set at all. A minimal amount of working limb and very low mass outer limbs. That is a lot to ask of wood.

I consider 192 fps @10 grains per pound and 28" draw to be the holy grail of wood bows. Shot from a shooting machine and using fast flight string.

Light arrows can travel very fast, I have one now that will hit 300 fps. The arrow is so light that it is hard to achieve good distance though. I am working on that.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:36:10 am »
Not to make lite of a series conversation,  but Badger you could strap a rocket to that arrow with a rip cord tied to the handle!  :laugh:

Seriously though,  I'm not into trying to get the most speed out of my bows but I like to shoot through the chronograph just to see what it's doing.
Some of you might remember my trade bow from last year called "The Fury"  I hit 199fps with a 470g arrow. It was a 55@28 bow I built for hunterbob.
I know that's not 10g per pound but in my book that's pretty close. The bow had also been braced for quite a while an has several arrows shot out of it that day. It was mid July and hot as hades also. It was an Osage selfbow,  with 12 strands of spectra. That's 50lb power pro fishing line. It's the same stuff as fast flight.
I've used this on my hunting bows for the last couple of years. Sill the original string and still looks brand new. Just my 2 cents.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Online sleek

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 02:23:19 am »
Dont forget slightly ticked shooting 200 fps, i dont remember the arrow weight but it was less than 10gpp. I dont even remember the draw weight now.... guess its ok to forget slightly ticked after all... lol
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 02:51:43 am »
I've been close with a couple of locust recurves in the past but......I haven't made a wooden bow like that for ages now. It's not too hard with a glass bow and it's the same formula for a wood bow. Short as possible working sections. Thick as possible working section, lowest possible weight outer limbs and of course perfect tillering combined with flawless unusually elastic wood.
It is a shame you lose stability when making lighter weight hornbows.....

Offline loon

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 04:44:21 am »
Probably with narrow static recurves... maybe a sinew backing on the bending limb, long narrow static recurves?? Maybe a Saami style bow at a higher draw weight. </armchair bowyer>