Author Topic: ladies in PA?  (Read 5701 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: ladies in PA?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 03:43:51 pm »
I bet they'd make some killer bows they usually pay more attention to the details.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 03:46:50 pm »
Or we just don't select the gender on our profiles for fear of being treated weird.  ::cough::

Maybe this is what I was wondering.  I wouldn't want to treat anyone weird or anything, but I hate the idea that I or we men in general might chase anyone away.  I hope everyone feels welcome.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 05:25:53 pm »
Maybe change the  "Cave Men Only" section to "Cave People Only" as a true gesture to gender equality?  :D.   
 ( as it stands...might come across as a bit "boys club" sounding?).
Maybe hold a democratic vote on it? Anyone second the motion?
Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:48:12 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 06:49:02 pm »
Cave Creatures sounds better to me I hate always having to be so politically correct. I know I'm guilty of saying guys all the time but I mean no disrespect to any gals that might be on here I'm including you all in our gang, and would love to here from you all. I'm working on my daughter in law she's interested but already very busy with kids ,teaching, FFA Adviser and 4-H leader it might have to wait a while for her. She had a glass recurve when she was in 4-H and really loved it, she lost it when she moved. I have a stave roughed out for her curing now.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 07:06:58 pm »
Yeah, Cave Creatures sounds cool. :) (no zombies allowed though  ;D)

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:11:16 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 07:31:54 pm »
Good Idea, Ruddy, that way it would include Transgender, also
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 02:12:06 am »
Or we just don't select the gender on our profiles for fear of being treated weird.  ::cough::

I hear ya.

Offline GB

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 03:05:28 am »
IMO it's just a reflection of the archery and bowhunting population in general which is way more male than female.  I'm on Pinterest and I see a lot of "Shoot Like a Girl" t-shirts and other merch and there seems to be an effort by the compound bow manufacturers and hunting goods retailers to get more women involved (and, of course, sell them some stuff) :)   Maybe some of them will eventually make the leap to traditional.
I don't spend as much time as I'd like at my local, free archery range, but it's rare to see a woman shooting there.  Then again it's even rarer to see someone shooting a wooden bow, regardless of their gender.
I wouldn't change anything on this site.  The last woman who posted on here that I remember (Andrea I think?) was heartily welcomed and treated courteously and made a nice hickory bow with some good advice from the forum.  Yes, it would be nice to have more female members, but it is what it is.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 03:38:57 am »
@GB...  "shoots like a girl"
I like helping out at 'have a go' days.
Often there will be a couple and the girl :-* is fine and takes to it like a duck to water (because she's listened to what she's been told... and maybe I'm paying her more attention >:D) and her big strapping know it all he-man tries to draw with his elbow pointing at the ground down by his waist and shoots like a wus.
You just can't tell who will be a natural.
The most rewarding, was a partially sighted (or in some other way impaired, I didn't want to ask) lady and her husband, I showed the guy and then stood close by as he helped her to shoot. She was so pleased to be able to do it.
We get a good turn out of ladies at the field shoots in the UK :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 06:42:06 am »
Good Idea, Ruddy, that way it would include Transgender, also

Yeah, good call Mullet, an all inclusive and embracing title for all to feel equally valued and welcoming for today's international society.  8)

Ruddy Darter
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:46:21 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 09:24:30 am »
There's a few women at my local range but most are compound shooters, one young lady actually places fairly high in state target competitions...

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 12:04:37 pm »
Depends on the circles you run in, I suppose.  For me, when I piped up that I had a bow, I found out right away that two friends (female) also had bows, and another woman who was nearby said she had one too.  In fact, all the guys I know are far more casual about shooting than we are, although they do support our habit (as if they could slow us down).  ;) 

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 04:39:17 pm »
There's a few women at my local range but most are compound shooters, one young lady actually places fairly high in state target competitions...

That just got my brain going... Mullet, is Denise Parker any relation?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 03:46:32 pm »
Not on my side of the Family, Joe.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 04:47:22 pm »
I wondered the same ...
I only remember one.

Well if it's the one I'm thinking of......good to see her gone, unless you like to hear her never ending personal problems.... :o :o
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.