Author Topic: A classic bow experiment  (Read 21934 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: A classic bow experiment
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2016, 04:59:10 pm »
So... It did break.
I had to hit the road brfore the last 32" test.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2016, 06:16:38 pm »
The bely side looks like it has a bit more latewood to it. With sinew and the pithy part acting like a foam core it seems reasonable that a fast shooter could have been possible.

Don't forget the horn belly and glue a giant siyah on each tip.  Of course the limbs will be 2" thick.  I'm sure that will be a reasonable fast shooter
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2016, 07:39:02 pm »
After reading through this thread I find myself mildly amused.  Some of you seem to be under the foolish belief that Clint doesn't know Osage.  Furthermore I can almost feel some of you giving Clint the stink eye through your screens for the audacity to suggest that there is such a thing as bad Osage and worse...being brazen enough to demonstrate said woods poor qualities.   Sorry....that particular piece of Osage was absolutely junk.  But that was not the point of the experiment.  The point was to see if he could get away with purposely violating multiple rings with thin ringed Osage without it lifting a splinter.  That was it....the whole point.   It did not lift a splinter.  Aside from the ring violations this bow was tillered as normal and not abused for the experiment.  It took 3"+ of set on the tillering tree.  The only way you would get a good bow out of this junk is glue on a 3/4" thick backing strip of good wood and then scrape all this stuff off the belly of the backing strip.  I suspect that the thing only failed in tension after the belly collapsed and hinged focusing all the bend in the one spot.  Aside from dry rot, that's about the only way you're gonna get a straight across back break with Osage.  Ya'll keep on throwing out how you would of made a good bow of that stave though.  It's quite entertaining.  Josh

Offline PatM

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2016, 07:56:26 pm »
 Nobody suggested anything but an alternate plan for the wood if it had to be used   ::)

That's how an Eskimo makes a good bow from Douglas Fir or Spruce.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2016, 08:04:21 pm »
I didn't think of that, that would have been pretty good wood for an Eskimo bow,, :)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2016, 08:11:54 pm »
What Josh said........
I got a chance to put my hands and eyes on that piece of sage and I agree it was junk......
DBar
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:04:07 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2016, 09:19:26 pm »
Pretty cool experiment  clint. Im gladni got to see it bend and wish i coukd have seen it break, but seeing the aftermath was enough.   Im glad you got my good side in the pic too. Lol
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:51 pm »
If you guys want to get a junk piece of 80% early growth and try to make a decent shooting bow out of it go right ahead.  You can bring it to the Classic next year and we can test it out.  Like Josh said, I just wanted to test the growth rings being violated.  I got my answer so the test was successful as far as I'm concerned.  The bow wasn't worth finishing or trying to save so I thought it would be fun to blow it up.  Everyone there seemed to enjoy it.  I'd like to do it again next year.  We try so hard to not blow up a bow, it's a lot of fun to do it on purpose.  I'm thinking maybe a red oak board bow with bad grain.  Or maybe a Ryoon inspired poplar bow. 

Here is the video of the bow breaking.  It's not in slow motion.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2016, 01:00:11 am »
Any red oak bow would work in my opinion Clint. Especially if I am the one that made it.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

JacksonCash

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2016, 09:34:48 am »
The bow wasn't worth finishing or trying to save so I thought it would be fun to blow it up.  Everyone there seemed to enjoy it.  I'd like to do it again next year.
My dad & mom put on a car show each summer, and one feature they had on and off was an engine blow up contest. Drain all the fluid out of a junker's engine and let it run until it stops. Bet on a time, if you win you get the pot. You could make this a feature at any shoot or bowyers gathering, only using draw length, or number of shots for the test.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2016, 10:34:34 am »
I thought it was a great experiment, and totally agree that it was junk wood and not worth anything more.  Clint knows his Osage and has plenty to work with.  I saw it drawn back to 28" and was surprised at how light in physical weight it was.  Too bad I missed the explosion, but thanks for the video.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2016, 11:20:28 am »
I loved seeing that thing blow! suprising that it just broke across the back instead of at a violation. Next experiment would be to violate good growth ringed osage
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2016, 11:31:55 am »
Well done Clint. The way that thing broke goes to show you what it was worth. Good Osage does not shatter like that. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2016, 12:44:01 pm »
I loved seeing that thing blow! suprising that it just broke across the back instead of at a violation. Next experiment would be to violate good growth ringed osage

It could answer a whole bucket full of questions, couldn't it?  Especially if it was a solid piece of wood, designed properly and executed correctly. Ultimately, I think there would be a lot of various ways to violate growthrings that would not be automatic death sentences, and others that would all but spontaneously blow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2016, 02:09:16 pm »
it would be interesting to know what the cast was on the bow say at 30 inches of draw,,even though the wood was of poor quality, the cast may have been exceptable ,,or equaled the cast of any wood bow with same string follow,,,, I was impressed it drew as far as it did,, and I learned from the experiment myself,, if the bow had been weighed ,,, it would have been informative to know where it would fall as far as mass weight to draw weight,, and if the bows mass and draw weight were in the ball park ,, compared to other osage staves,, etc etc etc,, thank you for posting  :)