Author Topic: HHB ELB Attempt  (Read 5870 times)

Offline ajooter

HHB ELB Attempt
« on: April 24, 2016, 09:52:35 pm »
I am attempting an HHB elb.  The stave is just shy of 72"...1.25" for the middle 20" (10" either side of center)...tapering to 1", 10" on the either side of that and then tapering to .5" tips.  I'm going to use a 5/6 depth to width ratio on the belly taper.  I've almost got the bow completely roughed out.  I need to do my second width profiling and then the final initial tapering of the belly followed by the rounding of the entire belly into a d-cross section.  There were some knots in question but I think they won't be a problem.

Offline Chief RID

Re: HHB ELB Attempt
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:15:58 am »
I am awatching.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:47 am »
good luck with that. My last attempt at an ELB with a white wood failed because the stave bent too much laterally.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:02:51 am »
Don't narrow the tips until it's pulling about 20" The extra width give you some adjustment in case it starts trying to bend sideways.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:18:38 am »
I was thinking that myself del....they are marked at .5 " but I can narrow them to .75" for now.  Should I need to put any tip overlay material on while tillering or can I wait till she is bending more....I was thinking adding them at brace.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:40:45 am »
You don't need any overlays on HHB even if you want to make a 100# + bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ajooter

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:01:55 am »
Sounds good to me Mark!  May do it for looks but that's about it.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 11:42:28 am »
Joachim and Del, can you guys tell me WHY it bent sideways?  I've had it happen during bowyering Mollies when I got narrower than wide, but the 8:5 ratio should take care of that on an ELB, no?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:18:14 pm »

I tapered the profile some more...leaving the tips a little wider.   I also redid the belly taper where it needed adjustments after the width taper.  I marked some lines so I could start the rounding of the belly tomorrow while I'm at work.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 02:22:27 am »
I'd get it flexing and maybe up to brace before worrying about rounding the belly. The rectangular cross section helps with the lateral stability in the early stages. I tend to just round (or chamfer) the corners off rather than deliberately rounding the belly, later on in the process the scraper will blend it in and all flat faces will go.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 03:01:23 am »
Yep round the belly at about 20 inches or so. Use facets during tillering3/16th in from edges.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 06:01:36 am »
what do you mean by facets mike?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 06:06:09 am »
I'm still pretty stiff on this one....if I need to remove wood should I do it from the belly or narrow the stave a little and then adjust the belly accordingly?

I'm looking for 70# or so.

Offline Ardent

• Imgur albums of my work
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 09:07:48 am »
Faceting is there the corners are flattened, not rounded. They look like the top of a cut diamond. It is easier to make sure that you have removed an even amount of wood from each of the corners when using this technique, in my opinion.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 09:21:55 pm »

Now that I see what faceting is I know what to call it...I use that technique quite often.  I knocked off the sharp corners of the facets.  This stave was only cut a month ago so I will let it dry with some weight hanging off it for a couple weeks and monitor the weight.  That's not a full bucket of paint.  There is one knot on the side of the limb that is still present.  I will post a picture of it before I start tillering.  Thanks for all the input fellas.

I watched your elb Buildalong on YouTube Del...that's some great stuff!