Author Topic: Grain violation break on Osage, I think? Pic heavy  (Read 3221 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Grain violation break on Osage, I think? Pic heavy
« on: April 17, 2016, 09:38:24 pm »
I've been working on a bow for my niece. She is a pretty special girl so I wanted to make her something cool. I have a couple of messed up bows that came in under weight from a friend. He knows I make a few kids bows so he gave them to me.
Long story short, I worked this one down to a nice reflex deflex. Got it lined up and tillered to 25@24. It was shooting really good and quite fast for a light weight bow.
This evening I was shooting it some and after I put an estimated total of 150 arrows through it I wanted to check the draw weight again. I put my marked arrow on and hooked my scale. Pulled it to 24 Inches and it was 25lbs on the nose. At that moment it exploded....
I was to the point of putting a python skin on it tomorrow since it was supposed to rain.
Do you guys think this is a grain violation? That's what I'm thinking.

Patrick

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:34:52 am by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Josh B

Re: Grain violation break on Osage, I think? Pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 09:42:43 pm »
No doubt about it.  I concur with your post mortem.  Bummer!  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:53:15 pm »
That was a poor job laying the bow out on the stave.  It looks like a straight bow was cut out of not so straight grain.  It was a ticking bomb waiting to go off.  Thankfully it broke on you and not your niece.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 10:20:00 pm »
Thanks guy's,  I'm glad it broke on me to. Lucky all I ended up with was a scratched elbow and a small hole in the sheet rock in the garage.
I figure I would make one from a stave I cut out this time.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 10:39:34 pm »
  At is a bummer, really nice profile, nice raiser.

Could be a little smaller. Less wait at the riser means more speed and better cant and lighter hand shock. Unless you go to light.

Why do you think glass bows the real shooters. Why their handles and risers are so small. And have big sight windows. again to lighten the middle of the bow up.

Look through a catalog and look at the recurves and long bows handles and risers.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 10:46:10 pm »

Could be a little smaller. Less wait at the riser means more speed and better cant and lighter hand shock. Unless you go to light.

Why do you think glass bows the real shooters. Why their handles and risers are so small. And have big sight windows. again to lighten the middle of the bow up.

Look through a catalog and look at the recurves and long bows handles and risers.
   I think you meant the exact opposite, no?

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 02:28:27 am »
Cutting a 'straight' bow from a wavy grained stave is a BAD idea. Now you see why! Very lucky it wasn't your young 'un....Once a bow has been strained it's no good for anything other than a wall hanger.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 02:45:58 am »

Probably would have made it a lot smaller if I would have worked on the handle in the first place. It's still full thickness and width. Just a black marker line on the side to show center.

Patrick

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 08:59:16 am »
Yep I would say you nailed the cause . Patrick. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 09:01:06 am »
When laying out a bow, the first thing I do is draw a line down the center following that lateral grain. Like this.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/layout.html

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 09:19:06 am »
I'm not gonna lie....I lay everything out from the belly side now.  Even if I have to start by leaving the stave wide and picking a uniform depth along the belly.  From there I do another width taper and I have a very clear view of the belly at this point.  Allows for a perfect layout of the grain.   Especially some white woods....I have a very hard time following the grain on the back.  Probably a rookie thing...but it's what works for me.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 10:21:19 am »
AC glue and tape it'll be fine  :P

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 11:02:34 am »
First off glad there was no damage done to you Patrick.
And yes, it does look like it had a grain violation on the back.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 11:33:48 am »
Thanks fellas,  I'm not going to lie, I have a hard time seeing the grain on Osage. I use the natural split as a guide. Then I chase a good clean ring in the natural light. While chasing the ring I inspect the grain and make marks to adjust the width. Then I find the center of my stave and use my finger as a guide to mark out a center line. The grain around knots are easier for me to see so I adjust accordingly. As I said, this bow was a rework and not laid out by me.

Patrick

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 02:41:59 pm »
What helps me is a bright light, and getting the wood damp. Being a sweaty fat guy helps.  :o
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.