Author Topic: Sassafras Bow Buildalong of Sorts  (Read 5072 times)

Offline ajooter

Sassafras Bow Buildalong of Sorts
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:39:01 pm »

Got a nice sassafras board from a generous fellow.  He makes gorgeous custom turkey calls.  We had a lot to talk about and he hooked me up with a nice chunk of Osage and a great big sassafras board.  I wanted to make him a bow since he shoots traditional.  This first one will be a stiff handled bow.  I was going for a 45# bow.  The stave is 72" long so I have a lot of room to work with.  I was gonna start 2.5" wide and hold that width for a heavy 2/3 of the limb and taper down to the nocks.  If I need to drop draw weight I have room to width tiller the bow a little.    This piece seems nice and dense and it hasn't been hard to chase a ring.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:55:47 pm by ajooter »

Offline ajooter

Re: Sassafras Bow layout
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 09:03:56 pm »
I have another piece I want to try making an elbow with.  I hear this wood likes that design.
On another note...this is the best smelling wood to work!  When I used to live in PA we used to use sassafras to smoke our burgers and dogs!!  Adds some great flavor to meats!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:31:29 pm »
Makes a tasty burger for sure! I've also made one bow from a board, been about 6-7 years ago though. Don't really remember the stats. I'd love to see this one finished. I have a stave that's been drying since last fall. I have a few nice size sass trees on the new property. Good luck with it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 11:21:24 pm »
  Sassafras bows are the lightest weighting bows I've ever made.

One thing make sure your woods season. Because sassafras soaks up relative humidity more than hickory. You know if it is when you get down to your ready for finish. Limbs look nice next morning your limbs might be warped.

I had this happen twice, I had to but them in the hot box to get ride of moisture. Re tiller put in the hot box as low as it'll go then crack the lead.

By far my not my favorite bow wood.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 12:13:33 am »
ajooter,  ;D you're kinda getting addicted to this aren't you?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 06:08:45 am »
I don't know own what your talking about Fred!  O:)

Offline ajooter

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 05:17:36 pm »

went down couple more rings to get a flat back across the while stave. 

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 05:50:40 pm »
I am over a year into one. I will be watching.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 07:13:46 pm »
Mine was fun ... and it REEEALLY likes dry heat. Would do another if the right piece shows up.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline ajooter

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 09:56:08 pm »

I got one of the limbs roughed down.  Due to the layout I only ended up with 2" wide limbs.  The limb thickness runs about 5/8" right now.  The wood works like red oak....very ring porous!

Depending on how she tillers out I may try some dry heat Knoll.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 10:55:33 am »
Keep it as long as you can and keep all the width you can. Also, it takes a lot of wood to make a bow, so watch that thickness closely. It will go fast.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 12:33:07 pm »
Your telling me pearly...she's got a good deal of flex even at better then 5/8" thick!

Offline ajooter

Re: Sassafras Bow Buildalong of Sorts
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 08:03:40 pm »

I got the other limb roughed down to 2" wide and then narrowed the tip down a little.  I then further tapered to belly till I had a decent floor tiller.   I noticed a spot in the limb that may need some work due to the pronounced growth rings in this stuff.  I love the way the growth rings feather out of the handle.  I will be putting some kind of tip overlays on her before I start tillering...haven't decided just yet what I want to use.  I may also let the bow sit in the garage and monitor the weight...it seems drier then a popcorn fart to me but I'll check the weight over a week in the garage and see what happens.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 08:59:37 pm »
I rounded the limb edges on the belly a little as well.  I know knoll said this wood likes dry heat...what kind of heat should I use the gently flip the tips...Steam or dry?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »

finished the rough out of the second limb and cleaned up the handle a little.  I really like the grain in this wood even if it is crazy porous!!  all those broke  red oak bows paid off when working this wood.  she's got a little twist and some potential alignment issues but starting to look like a bow.

unfortunately I'm told no more bow work till I clean up the garage...if you haven't noticed my background I'll be busy for the rest of the day probably into tomorrow haha.