Author Topic: Aesthetics and more  (Read 3455 times)

Offline DC

Aesthetics and more
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:03:48 pm »
If you look at this picture I've left a little meat around this knot so the left side has a nice curve which looks great to me. But the right side is arrow straight and it kind of jars my eye. I would like to cut away a bit to kind of mimic the left side curve. I realize that with this being a few inches from the tip it's probably a non-issue but how about further into the working part? I would still be leaving the limb wider at the knot but I may cut into a ring or so from the side.
Is it worth the risk just for looks? I've made a couple of bows now that are nice and curvy except for these occasional dead straight spots. They jump out at me every time I see them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Aesthetics and more
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:36:03 pm »
I wouldn't try to mimic a bulge but you could start the taper to the tip on the right side only. It would center the string on the limb better too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:46:19 pm »
I wouldnt risk it..i would just taper the tip, and thats it. It looks nice like that with that knot there.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:56:58 pm »
OK, thanks for that. How about this knot. Just the knot, not the wood around it. It looks solid other than the crack. How would you treat it?  Just for appearance. Would you countersink it a bit so that the knot sat a bit below the surface? Sand it flush? Drill it right out out so I can hang it on a peg ;). I like the look of them when they're naturally a bit below the surface but I've never tried to duplicate the look.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:58:10 pm »
I've been tempted by that in the past as well. Here's one way to consider it. The beauty of a selfbow comes from it's simple clean lines and efficiency in form. The form and function are tied together. Every bow is unique because every piece of wood is unique and calls for a different shape to make a graceful, strong and functional bow. If you detract from the function of the bow to enhance the form, in my opinion, you are not really helping the appearance because you, and any other experienced bowyer will see that spot and feel that something is wrong. It won't be as beautiful because you didn't do what the wood was telling you. Ha! how's that for some poetic bullshit.  ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 07:04:12 pm »
I thought about that "form follows function" stuff but those straight lines on an otherwise curvy bow just scream at me. How about the knot?

Offline akila

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:02:53 pm »
Is there the knot intact, or is it cracked in half?? THe pictures is somehow not very clear, and does the knot go thru the entire thickness of the limb? I mean, it goes thru the other side..do you have it the same on the belly side? If it also goes on the other side, it could be a nice efekt to have it completely removed :D. If its only half way deep, i dont know it its a good ideea to drill it..

Offline ajooter

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 09:10:34 pm »

This is my trade bow with an almost identical knot.  I left it the way it was.  A little character is pleasing to the eye I think.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 09:57:43 pm »
Is there the knot intact, or is it cracked in half?? THe pictures is somehow not very clear, and does the knot go thru the entire thickness of the limb? I mean, it goes thru the other side..do you have it the same on the belly side? If it also goes on the other side, it could be a nice efekt to have it completely removed :D. If its only half way deep, i dont know it its a good ideea to drill it..

It goes right through and it's almost as big on the belly. The crack goes right through also. I was almost joking when I suggested removing it but it crossed my mind when I was soaking it with CA. It soaked up a lot.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 11:08:14 pm »
 I always add something in the holes. I'll carve something from antler, A carved nose looks great,something carver from bass, jewelry, aquarium rocks different colorsvand sizes. Just carve the outer part of the hole to match.

I just can't fill it in. You got it use it. That's what I do.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 02:24:56 am »
I've been tempted by that in the past as well. Here's one way to consider it. The beauty of a selfbow comes from it's simple clean lines and efficiency in form. The form and function are tied together. Every bow is unique because every piece of wood is unique and calls for a different shape to make a graceful, strong and functional bow. If you detract from the function of the bow to enhance the form, in my opinion, you are not really helping the appearance because you, and any other experienced bowyer will see that spot and feel that something is wrong. It won't be as beautiful because you didn't do what the wood was telling you. Ha! how's that for some poetic bullshit.  ;D

Agreed 100%
Listen to the wood and follow the grain.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 02:30:22 am »
Its hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the end with the knot is wide enough to completely eliminate the knot.  Maybe it's not as wide as it looks though.  Just a thought. Josh

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 02:51:02 am »
I recently finished my wife's new bow for the birthday. It had a recessed knothole that I epoxied a piece of cobalt blue beach glass into. I'm wishing now I would have drilled it so you could see the sunlight come through it. I died the wood(HHB) with oranges and reds which compliment the blue nicely. I'll try to get a pic up before I crash out for the night.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 03:00:36 am »
I hope this works photobucket was having a fit tonight for some reason.

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 08:56:58 am »
I think it is ok. But in the last picture you did cut some of the grain lines on the other side.

Selfbows don't have to have straight lines on the limbs. In fact, some should not.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!