Author Topic: IRON WOOD  (Read 8018 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
IRON WOOD
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:37:58 pm »
Hello to all of you bowyers.. I was wondering if anyone has ever used iron wood for building a board bow... I recently came across some iron wood about ten foot long by inchand a half tick by four inches wide ..looks like some dense wood and very heavy... I am hunter not a bowyer ... so please don't raz me too much  ;D...if this wood is not usable for a bow....any help would be very much appreciated....my one and only self bow got broken a while back so have been shooting a custom built osage laminate stick bow ... thanks in advance for your insight regarding this wood ... Mike A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: IRON WOOD
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:41:23 pm »
I believe its hop horn beam and yes it will make an excellent bow! Ten feet! Many bows!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:42:13 pm »
Hawkbow I have never personally built a bow out of Ironwood but I do have a video by I belive its Murray Gaskin , that shows a Ironwood bow
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:47:16 pm »
Are there any tricks of the trade when it comes to working this hardwood....I am afraid of ruining the wood before i ever get started.. i have built two ash self bows but that is the extent of my bowyer skills....Mike a/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 11:52:16 pm »
Im wanting to say that it works like hickory but trying to recall video,please wait for more advice from someone that has actually worked it at least with ten foot you have a practice piece
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 12:10:01 am »
Mike ...is this real Ironwood..or Hop Hornbeam?? If it's Desert Ironwood...I am not too sure how it will work for a Bow...looks great as Knife Scales...or Pistol Grips..I have made a Bunch of them.......but if it's Hop Hornbeam....it is good Bow wood...and can be worked like most other Whitwoods....peel the Bark off...and theres your Bows Back....and if you go to Jawges site..he has all of the Information that you can imagine to help you out......    http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html

Minwaadizi
                Michael
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 01:10:17 am »
Yankee,I am not sure what the wood actually is. one of the log homes we are working on built the deck out of the wood..and they called it Iron wood...the wood is dark like walnut..and very heave and dense.... Mike A/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 01:26:21 am »
Yankee,I am not sure what the wood actually is. one of the log homes we are working on built the deck out of the wood..and they called it Iron wood...the wood is dark like walnut..and very heave and dense.... Mike A/ho

Does it look like any of these???

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ironwood,%20desert.htm
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 01:37:54 am »
The pic under web pics ... plank closeups .. looks like the second picture...Mike

Mike "Hawk" Huston

grantmac

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 02:28:19 am »
Some places sell Ipe as Ironwood, just as a heads-up.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 02:40:20 am »
Hi,  If a deck was being made out of this stuff, it seems very unlikely to be desert Ironwood!  Desert Ironwood is beautiful, but I thought it only comes in awfully small pieces.  Given the current popularity, ( and relatively low cost) of tropical hardwoods for decks, my own guess would be some South American import.  Ipe comes to mind and looks something like the second set of pics. In addition, one of the big importers of Ipe does business as "Ironwoods" Anyway, anything that dense will probably make a bow if the grain is straight.   Hawkbow, you might want to look up some of the threads on baking bows out of Ipe, or get a copy of the back issue of Primitive Archer with the article on making bows of Ipe.
Ron

PS Looks like somebody else is thinking along the same lines.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 03:00:37 am »
Mike....Ron is right on one thing for sure...I didn't read close enough.....you would never get Desert Ironwood long enough to build a Deck out of it..... It grows very gnarly and short...so I bet it is Ipe or some other South American Rainforest Hardwood......Ipe makes a good Bow....I have never made one without a Backing ...though it has been done....do a search on this Board....you will find quite a Bit on it

Minwaabamewizi ningwi
                                Michael
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 03:01:51 am »
Mike, I'd bet it is Ipe. "iron wood" is a common name and depending on where you are in the world, it could be 1 of 1000(or more) different woods, just because it is hard. Ipe is used around the country as an outside decking and I have heard it called iron wood. To me, it has a spicy smell to it when scraped, and very oily wood.
   If it is Ipe, it makes great bows. I have made hickory backed bows with it and know of others that have made self bows with Ipe. Grain configuration(if you can see it) is critical for self bows but with the boards being 1 1/2" thick, you might be able to chase a ring to get a continuous ring from tip to tip. If so, you won't need another  backing.
   What is your draw length and weight preference. This can help to determine what design and length to go with.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 08:34:44 am »
Mike a picture would help ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

keekeerun

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 09:29:41 am »
I guess it depends where you come from but, hophornbeam is also called ironwood.