Author Topic: How much reflex?  (Read 3997 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
How much reflex?
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:02:46 am »
Morning All
A few of my staves have gained quite a bit of reflex as they seasoned. Is this a good or a bad thing? Should I heat treat them to get them straight when I rough out the bow.  If it is ok to have reflex, how much is too much?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: How much reflex?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:45:06 am »
Some is good, too much and it will want to flip around when you try to tiller. I usually try to keep it under 3" just to keep tillering issues to a minimum. I wouldn't make any changes to them until you get things roughed out and can get some bend floor tillering. It may change some on it's own as you remove wood.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 05:45:13 am »
Thanks DK.  Does reflex reduce ultimate draw length by the amount of reflex? If a straight stave could only draw to 28" would it only draw to 26" if it was reflexed by 2"?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:34:58 am »
I agree with Kid. If the reflex is uneven I try to even it out some. If too much I reduce the reflex to 3-4".  Your draw length depends on how far you tiller out the bow, no matter how much reflex...however, the more reflex (more than 3-4")you start with will add more stress to the limbs and too much can be counter productive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 09:32:54 am »
A keen eye for floor tiller is key for high reflex bows imho.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 09:54:36 am »
Hey Bushy, are you talking Bow Building 101 or College Prep Bow Building?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 11:21:55 am »
Not sure what you mean pat?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 11:44:41 am »
tickinthemud is a relative new comer. Talking about highly reflexed bows might be over his head. Three to 4" of reflex can strain the bow pretty well if not worked properly but highly reflexed bows are difficult for even seasoned bowyers to accomplish.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 12:00:04 pm »
Pat B x 2

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 12:28:20 pm »
  When you add reflex you also need to allow for more width. Thoe wood has to bend more so it has to be thinner. As log as you have enough width and not too high of a crown 3 or 4 inches should be doable. If you are lucky you will end up with 2". I like my personnal bows with about 1" finished reflex, I start with about 2 1/2" as a rule.

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 04:23:56 pm »
Who cares as long as the bow shoots on target....... >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 04:25:58 pm »
tickinthemud is a relative new comer. Talking about highly reflexed bows might be over his head. Three to 4" of reflex can strain the bow pretty well if not worked properly but highly reflexed bows are difficult for even seasoned bowyers to accomplish.

X2 its a tough call no doubt.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline ryder

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 07:52:51 pm »
Just a question about reflex gained while the stave dries. Does it actually count as reflex? I heard it tends to disappear while tillering anyways, is that accurate?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 10:00:42 pm »
Reflex that naturally occurs during drying is still reflex although it may not be as sustainable as reflex added with heat. I prefer to add even deflex rather than take what happens naturally while drying.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 11:04:50 am »
once you gain some experience,, all your options are open,,  you can work with it as is ,, or heat and bend,,,both will shoot accurately ,, even a bow with a little string follow can perform as well as a bow with reflex,, depending on the mass and design,, each bow will have its own issues,, and thats what makes it fun to try to get the best from each piece of wood,,I  like a bow that shoots hard for its draw,,,but I dont go crazy about it,, :) my bows are for hunting so a few fps one way or the other is ok, if the bow shoots nice and has a good feel,,i am ok with that,, that being said there is no need to pull 50# and get the cast of a 30# bow,, bows are more forgiving than some would think,, one limb can be deflex and the other reflex and you can still get nice arrow flight and a good shooting bow,,