Author Topic: On the list of ways to make recurves...  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Jefficus

On the list of ways to make recurves...
« on: April 14, 2016, 02:14:40 am »
I've seen some bows which are basically straight, but have extra pieces glued or sinew wrapped on at the ends which have a bend or hook and create a recurve effect.  What is this method of creating a recurve called? Informative links appreciated! Thanks all.

Offline Frodolf

Re: On the list of ways to make recurves...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 04:59:53 am »
I suppose they're usually called siyahs (I think from Turkish archery, but I'm not sure). I've made a couple of recurves this way. It's not my favorite but it gets the job done. I simply find a tree truck that has grown in a suitable bend and with straight grain and split it. When dry, shape and attach. I think a dovetail joint is most common, but if you're making a boo-backed bow or similar you can shape the siyah as a wedge to fit between the "bow" and the backing. Wrap with sinew. A benefit is that you can make quite a think recurve this way and thus make it very narrow (it's dicey to steam bend an inch-thick tip to a steep recurve).

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:24:00 am »
    It's just a spliced in tip.   It's the most convenient way for making a recurved bow of tropical wood if you want a sharper curve.
 Definitely my favorite method. Whether you need to wrap it or not depends on if your backing runs over the splice or not.

Offline Jefficus

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:54:43 pm »
Thanks! Just couldnt remember that term.:)