Author Topic: Mead Longbows  (Read 24874 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Mead Longbows
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2016, 09:23:59 pm »
He had a video with the chroni inside consistently shot mid 180's at 26" ans oncw 225 and he said i don't think i by that one.
Dude seems like an honest guy and i think he hit in the 190's a few times too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2016, 09:31:35 pm »
I'm not doubting his honesty, but I know it is going to start.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2016, 11:13:29 pm »
I know Mullet, people are still saying outlaws junk osage would make a bow lol
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2016, 04:43:43 am »
I  have the same chrony as Dave does with the LED light hood when I get my kit put together & arrows tuned , tuned arrows are a must for good reading, I will do a side by side comparison with a custom fg bow of knowen speed & post it , I would be very happy whith 190 fps @10GPP , See what you started JW your a evil man 🏹😃
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2016, 09:47:49 am »
I like how there are posts that say it isn't possible. Innovation is out there, and new ways of doing things as well. Just because it has always been done a certain way, doesn't mean there isn't a new, better way of doing them.

I'm curious how one of those would do here in Utah. They even advise against buying bamboo flooring, as the fluctuation of humidity doesn't make it a good product.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2016, 10:10:25 am »
  And, again, I am not going to go off half cocked and adamantly declare that these speeds are not possible, or that he guy is lying.  I don't know him.

I just raked some of the same ground pretty thoroughly and couldn't do it, and I can't SEE anything too special about the design or the materials. So, I want to know HOW.  I wanna know more.  I wanna know what I'm missing.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2016, 07:37:19 pm »
Common knowledge once said kiln dried wood was weak and brittle, no bow could be made from a board.

The masters we all acknowledge as starting the primitive archery movement in the early 20th century all said hickory was crap.

Even recently, I have heard folks say wide bows are slow bows. 

Fact is, for all we think we know our beans today, our best efforts have not met the distances the Turks shot in the past.  Lots of old rules are being revised every day as we learn and relearn.  I am not as quick to throw out the word "impossible" ever since it became clear to me that often that word is based more on opinion than on fact.

That being said, I am going to contact the local bow shop (the real one that does nothing but bows, not the big outdoors box store that employs clerks that can't even read the product descriptions on the packaging) to see if they can help me get someone with a real 28 inch draw to throw a few arrows thru their chronograph.  I will shoot video and see what they can come for numbers.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2016, 07:49:23 pm »
I have been giving this alot of consideration, I am open minded,, JW sounds like a good plan,, lots of variables involved, just like hickory shooting the best in the desert,, moisture content could sure effect cast on all wood bow for sure,, when I look at the post Badger made,, and some of the other guys,, I feel like the 200 fps with a wood bow,, is a slightly grey area,, that is not so defined,,,but will be interesting to see what happens,, my but feeling is some of the bows may come close to the 200 with 28 draw and 10 app  but not really reach or exceed it,, and I don't care if I am wrong,, cause I will learn something new for sure,, :) funny thing is , I won't give up my slow dog osage to shoot a bamboo bow,, just like I won't give up my 68 f 150,,,
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:14:45 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2016, 08:09:09 pm »
Send it to Steve Gardner, JW and let him shoot it with the release machine.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2016, 08:10:22 pm »
I will pay the shipping if you want to send to Steve

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2016, 08:25:35 pm »
I don't think my bow was the one David had shot the super fast arrows through.  Maybe he will be interested in sending that particular one to Steve.  Mr. Gardner has dedicated himself to chasing the gods of speed/distance, can't think of anyone I would rather have do an evaluation of a bow! 

Besides, I am re-engineering the grip section of mine. Looking for a more comfortable arrangement!  I can't believe it, I am actually shooting a bow again.  I haven't had an interest in throwing arrows downrange in years.  LOL, what is next?  Am I actually going to get an archery tag?  (Hmmm, 48" nock to nock, fast arrows, and western South Dakota antelope from behind a decoy)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2016, 09:11:23 pm »
I'm curious how one of those would do here in Utah. They even advise against buying bamboo flooring, as the fluctuation of humidity doesn't make it a good product.

Interesting point you bring up.I notice,that Bamboo backings and shafts tend to check badly,in Nevada as well.

Offline Dmead

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2016, 10:58:50 pm »
Bubby, Paul, and Patrick Thanks for the welcome!

PaulN/KS- I am teaching a bow making class that weekend in Berea KY otherwise I would be going to Mojam. I still might make the IBO in TN if my class doesn't fill one of the days. Will have to be a last minute call.

Okay so on to my speed claims...Yes I had the same reaction when I first witnessed the speed from my bows. I thought at first something broke open in my shop and fumes were getting out causing me to be delirious. .. so I went to the Chrono to prove to myself.

I destroyed almost every arrow I had, broke several siyahs,(string split them in half), broke strings, cracked handles, and continued to rebuild those bows and build more to test.. during different weather conditions etc. Had to reconfigure everything I had to accept the power of these bows.. So unless my chrono's (more than 1) are on crack, my speeds are legit. And some are faster than seen on my videos because I can't consistently shoot cleanly at 28".  Plus most of my test were done with somewhat heavy stretchy string material. Its all off the hand, finger release and nothing special about my arrows. Only recently I have used linen thread to make my bow strings. Wow that is good stuff! If you can find it!

As you can see in my videos I shoot numerous times to try and get some kind of consistency and average. .the videos are just clips of probably an hours worth of chrono testing or more. Every time I shoot over the chrono it's at least an hour.  I try to just send a few over it, but my inner competitiveness gets the best of me every time.
I have tested and tested and tested the bows before I ever even thought of selling them as speedsters.  If any of you live close to me I would like to extend an offer to anyone interested to come and shoot my bows over my (or your) chrono at my place. Serious offer from an honest guy to someone that wants to come and shoot/draw/release my bows and arrows over a Chrono. Bring your best bow and we can talk and exchange ideas, etc. Honestly I don't really care to prove it.  I wasn't chasing that 200fps with 10gpp.  I am after the most efficient design with natural materials. And I'm still at it. Probably wont be satisfied until I hit 300 fps.  Yes we will see what happens in Utah. .I'm just as curious as you all. In extreme humidity it will be slower of course and in extreme dry climate.. it should draw heavier..Who knows maybe my bow will blow up! Haha

I know Pappy didnt have room but I was going to squeeze in on someones table..so I would have been at TN classic if I didn't have a death in the family. Had to make a last minute trip to Fla. Family comes first.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2016, 12:24:09 pm »
Dmead,,thanks so much for your patience and taking time to reply,, just to clarify,, do you have bows that will shoot 200fps with 10 gpp at 28 inches of draw,, is that the norm for your bows,, or are the ones that shoot that special,, thanks again for your info and replies,, B

Offline Dmead

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2016, 01:53:52 pm »
Brad
To answer your question..probably.  if I get around to it I will let you know. Who cares anyway? What is your fascination with the 10gpp? Yes some of my bows will shoot over 200fps. Johns bow did. He has made some changes so not sure about now..
200fps with 10gpp.. I don't know. I don't think I ever claimed 200fps with 10gpp. If I did somewhere please point it out for me. Im more interested in distance these days anyway. Speed comes as a byproduct.
To answer the other question my bows are fast,  very fast for what they are..And they can be made to fold as a takedown,  they are tiny and powerful...oh yeah and cheap.  So what else do you want? I've posted many videos of me chrono testing my bows with great speeds for what they are I don't understand the fixation. I came on here to share my knowledge and learn from others as well.  To support primitive archer and the art of bow making. Do you have a bow that shoots 200fps?