Author Topic: Mead Longbows  (Read 24870 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Mead Longbows
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 10:33:26 am »
This is really puzzling.  The reviews and claims about this bow are pretty good, but I can't see why it's so special.  I've done something similar several times, with three species of bamboo, and while they shot fine and were fun and easy to make, they weren't stand-out bows, especially.  Certainly not that fast.  Mine were longer, I think the shortest was 56", but the profile was much the same.  i even did things to manage tip weight, like use heat bend rattan in the siyahs.

I wonder if he has some special method of treating the bamboo?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 02:07:31 pm »
This is really puzzling.  The reviews and claims about this bow are pretty good, but I can't see why it's so special.  I've done something similar several times, with three species of bamboo, and while they shot fine and were fun and easy to make, they weren't stand-out bows, especially.  Certainly not that fast.  Mine were longer, I think the shortest was 56", but the profile was much the same.  i even did things to manage tip weight, like use heat bend rattan in the siyahs.

What is to puzzle?  Have you seen the You Tube videos of his arrow speeds?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 02:30:06 pm »

That's part of the puzzle.  Big companies put a lot of effort into making arrows go 200 fps so a simple bamboo slat doing what requires foam cores and carbon etc. will always make people go  ???

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 03:34:08 pm »

That's part of the puzzle.  Big companies put a lot of effort into making arrows go 200 fps so a simple bamboo slat doing what requires foam cores and carbon etc. will always make people go  ???

Especially when it cost me all of $118 - SHIPPED!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 03:43:33 pm »
You have my attention JW.  Which is a little frustrating since I now know that you're intending to make me wait for the published story to get the full skinny on it. >:(  Once again....you're a dirty rotten tease!  I suppose I can be patient.....for a little while anyway.  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 03:56:33 pm »
You have my attention JW.  Which is a little frustrating since I now know that you're intending to make me wait for the published story to get the full skinny on it. >:(  Once again....you're a dirty rotten tease!  I suppose I can be patient.....for a little while anyway.  Josh

Just because you bought me breakfast doesn't mean you are gonna get any special treatment, big fella.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 04:11:25 pm »

Just because you bought me breakfast doesn't mean you are gonna get any special treatment, big fella.

I wouldn't expect any!  I truly am curious though....Josh

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »
First off,  Dave it's good to see you here on pa! Welcome and feel free to post away!

I don't want to give away any of Daves secrets so he will have to do that himself.
I'm with Josh though I'm curious to see the article in PA.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 07:36:52 pm »

I guess he ain't easy or cheap...  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 10:24:56 pm »

I guess he ain't easy or cheap...  ;)

Wow, you really don't know me at all do you?

mikekeswick

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 01:27:05 am »
Bamboo slats do not shoot at 200 fps with 10gpp.....

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 12:58:02 pm »
Just Talked to Dave over there to find out if his bow could take 29 in draw & he is making the kit limbs longer for me  let you know when I get it put together & through the crony  real nice down to earth guy he will sell lots of these bows !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 05:28:10 pm »
Hmmmm... The book is cheap at twice the price!  ...if it contains the 'special treatment' secrets for the bamboo lams, it would be of interest for that alone!  ;) ::) ???  -OneBow

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 05:46:21 pm »
so has anyone seen the bow shoot 200 fps with 10 app arrow ,,that one is difficult for me to believe,, unless one of you guys has seen it,,, ok I just watched some of the videos,, and the bow seems impressive and fast,,,but I didn't see it shoot 200 fps with a 10 app  arrow,,  its hard to tell if the bow is being drawn to a specific draw,, and it may be,, and it may be shooting 200 fps,, its just hard to tell from the video,,, I saw one video where the chrono was reading 190's,, anyway,, I guess I have my doubts about it,, I will just wait to see if one of you guys gets 200fps before I make a judgment,, :)  very interesting bow,,something to be learned there for sure,,
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:08:53 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2016, 07:30:53 pm »
One thing about Chrono's, and it came up when I shot my bow is that the lighting will effect the accuracy of some of them. That's why I called Steve Gardner about the readings.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?