Author Topic: Arrows of appreciation for fred  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Arrows of appreciation for fred
« on: April 13, 2016, 01:13:43 am »
Hi guys,

These arrows were made as a thank you to fred for running the trade this year. They were part of a package that a few of us involved in the trade put together.

They are by far the nicest set I have built thus far. They are tulip poplar shafts that I hand doweled to 40-45#. They have self nocks with a sinew wrap covered with reflective white vinyl stripe(helps to find them in the dark) The crown is enamel paint. The crest is rat snake from Texas I do believe(half eye knows for sure). The fletchings are turkey feather with the cock feather dyed with vinegar and osage dust. They have a marabou feather tied in at the cock feather to help sight the flight to target. The knapped heads came for a friend of half eyes and are wrapped with sinew. If I keep at it, I'll be able to knap my own by next year.  :laugh:

Thanks for looking.

I was trying to impress. I hope it shows.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Arrows of appreciation for fred
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 05:15:06 am »
Mike, Thanks for posting the pics. I'm still trying to get better photos but nothing I've taken does justice to what are the nicest arrows I've ever owned. When I set my camera to high resolution the photos won't download because they are to many kb's.

The attention to detail and craftsmanship is superb and far exceeds anything that I've ever accomplished. There is no one I know that wouldn't be proud to have such a beautiful matched set of arrows.

Each and every arrow is marked individually with spine and weight. I'm going to work some more on the pics to try to give more attention to the detail.

I'm honored and humbled by all of your generosity and utterly amazed.

Thank you very much,
Fred Arnold
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:24:31 am »
Very nice work kid

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:28:48 am »
What a nice gift . . . and a nicer gifter!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:23:34 am »
Well done, and the arrows are killer too!!!!!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 11:44:31 am »
Gorgeous!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 02:12:06 pm »
Excellent gesture fellers. Fred deserves the reward for all he is doing and will have to do in the coming months. It will get sticky and he will have tough decisions to make.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 04:21:43 pm »
Those are sweet!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:20 pm »
Very nice rockets but I would have a hard time seeing them in the bush, been half blind and all.  :(
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 09:24:02 pm »
Very nice rockets but I would have a hard time seeing them in the bush, been half blind and all.  :(

I wrapped a ribbon of reflective material just behind the nock. Just bust out your flashlight and they light up like a white LED.

Thanks for the compliment fellas. It was fun to do a set with all the flashy extras. For my personal arrows I typically go with function as apposed to aesthetics. I may add a few upgrades to this years hunting arrows though. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 01:38:09 pm »
These are nice arrows.  Thanks for posting.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 01:48:18 pm »
Beautiful arrows from tip of point to knocks
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 02:31:49 pm »
Hey guys and gals, Dakota Kid did more than amazing on building these arrows. Each one is individually marked with spine and weight. I can't say enough about the quality and craftsmanship. My camera nor his can do them justice.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 04:58:00 pm »

Man, those are slicker than snot on a door knob!
Beautiful work.  Is Fred really going to stick a deer with one of those, or hang them above the mantle piece?  Shame to get them all bloody!  But what deer, or other game animal wouldn't jump in front of another, just to be the one to be killed with one of those arrows?  Beautiful work, and Lucky Fred!  So Fred, when is he going to send the bow to match those arrows?  Surely he doesn't expect you to shoot them in a plain ol bow now does he?  Let us know when it arrives....... ;) ::) ;D

Wayne

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 05:49:09 pm »
Wayne, these guys conspired together to load me up with hunting gear for this year. Halfeye finished the bow off and I think the points were made by Dan Hamlin?, DuBois built the hair on deer hide quiver and Gutshot's daughter hand made a nice bow sock. I'm not really sure yet who all was involved.