Author Topic: osage crack  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

osage crack
« on: April 12, 2016, 05:26:40 am »
Hey guys, I just finished tillering an osage bow and I noticed this small crack in the back of the bow. The crack is very small and seems to be confined within this small knot. I dont like that its running across the grain. What do you guys think? Will it hold? The bow is 52#@28" 67" tip to tip and almost two inches wide. Here is a picture.

Offline chamookman

Re: osage crack
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 05:38:41 am »
Lee - I'd flow some super glue in the crack while it's strung. Then shoot it some more keeping an Eye on that spot. Should be OK - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:49:17 am »
What Bob said but I will add, if you have it already tillered it looks to me like you really need to clean up the back, I never start tillering until the back is pristine also you might clean out around the knot and get all the dead/rotten stuff away then super glue.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:54:41 am »
Ok I actually did just that. I super glued it when strung. Seems to be holding. Good point on cleaning up the back of the bow. Usually I sand it completely smooth before tillering. Not sure why I didnt this time. Thanks guys

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:51:52 am »
Ok I actually did just that. I super glued it when strung. Seems to be holding. Good point on cleaning up the back of the bow. Usually I sand it completely smooth before tillering. Not sure why I didnt this time. Thanks guys

Sand the back?  I tried teaching a guy how to make bows about 15 years ago and he did the same thing, after I told him not to.  He got a solid clunk on the head for his efforts when the bow exploded.  He decided he didn't want to make bows after that
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:14:54 am »
Yes, sand it down to at least 220 grit. I go up to 700 grit.

When tillering knotted areas, I make sure to leave them a little flatter than the rest of the limb.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:53:22 am »
Ok. Marc you don't sand the back of your bows?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 11:51:49 am »
Round corner edges too Lee before any serious bending.Sure you know that too though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 01:27:50 pm »
I don't see no stinkin' crack! Can you maybe describe it better. I would like to see what you guys are talking about. This happens quite often to me. People talking about a flaw that I can't see. And my eyes are pretty good too :D

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 03:39:24 pm »
Zoom on in there buddy! ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 04:13:32 pm »
Oh, that. I just assumed that was the edge of the bark that you left in the knot.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 04:17:07 pm »
Aint no thing Lee. Id be more surprised if a knot like that didn't pop a bit.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 04:42:09 pm »
Thanks thats a relief. I really like the way this bow is turning out and its my first one in six months and the first one in my new house which we have been building all winter. Ill post the bow when it is all finished up.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 05:00:05 pm »
What Bob said but I will add, if you have it already tillered it looks to me like you really need to clean up the back, I never start tillering until the back is pristine also you might clean out around the knot and get all the dead/rotten stuff away then super glue.  :)
 Pappy

+1

When I finish thank of my bows I mainly use a pristine scraper and on careful not to leave any stop and start marks withe the scraper. I use a curved scraper or my curved edge of my small pocket knife to get in all of the unusual places. When I'm done I burnish the heck out of the back. (after rounding the edges of course) the back normal looks and feels like I sanded it to 2000 grit and put a clear coat over it.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 05:02:46 pm »
Ok. Marc you don't sand the back of your bows?

Never on a selfbow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com