Author Topic: Copper Atlatl Weight  (Read 3653 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Copper Atlatl Weight
« on: April 08, 2016, 05:45:42 pm »
Jackcrafty turned me onto this topic.  My hat goes off to a man whose curiosity fed my own.

In the Milwaukee Public Museum sits a one of a kind Archaic Period item made of copper.  It looks like an ax head but is way too thin to do any effective chopping or even trimming.  There are many stone examples of bannerstones shaped much like this.  It makes sense that this is simply a copper version of the stone bannerstone. 
Many (but not all) experts think bannerstones were weights on atlatls.  I love atlatls so I added a copper bannerstone or weight to my wish list. So when Jackson high school metal shop teacher Andy Stover permitted me into his shop to cast copper celts, I added the bannerstone model.   I researched the literature and found some photos and basic dimensions. 

The model was made of basswood with two coats of primer.  Last night a cast was poured successfully.    I need to cut it from the pour channels and sprue hole and then the fun begins.  . .
Lets review native tech.  According to archeologists the Archaic coppersmiths hammered (hardening and shaping) and annealed (heated for softening) their copper objects.  So if that is how they got their shape, then how would they drill the hole?  Flint drill blade?   Cane hand drill with flint dust like they did the igneous and slate bannerstones?  I am intrigued and will be trying a cane hand drill with flint chips.  Larry Kinsella has a good photo-journal of this process on his megalithics website.
However, I am interested in other thoughts on what prehistoric first nation people might have employed.   Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:50:20 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Copper Atlatl Weight
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:50 pm »
By the way I cast this item because that was the easiest way for me to obtain a blank.  I know most prehistoric copper items were hammered and annealed.  There is some suspicion that prehistoric coppersmiths were able to do rudimentary copper melting and casting. i found a couple of articles that presented an argument for this and used this object as an example.  There are what looks like bubble holes in the metal when it is x-rayed.  I bring this up to clarify I am not trying to weigh in on the ultimate shaping from a copper nugget.  I used this method for personal ease.  Now what I do with it from this point will be more universally agreed upon as roughly aboriginal techniques.  Full disclosure. 

It may be a while before I have progress pix so please forgive me.  I have a lot going on this spring and early summer.  I will post when I can. 

thanks for looking. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:56:40 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 07:35:25 pm »
They may have forged the hole. Annealed the center and then pounded the hole in with- maybe antler. Just a guess, I have no other ideas.

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:31:03 pm »
Was there anything in the literature about what type of wood the atlatl was made with?  I have no idea what process was used to forge or create the hole in the banner stone. Do not have any experience with drilling into copper.  Good luck!
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 11:35:37 pm »
Was there anything in the literature about what type of wood the atlatl was made with?  I have no idea what process was used to forge or create the hole in the banner stone. Do not have any experience with drilling into copper.  Good luck!

Wood is hard to find on an atlatl.  I don't think this item was found with any other atlatl parts but it was found with other Archaic era items that also don't decay. 

I am thinking about using antler to chisel a few marks in there to get the cut going.  Then I want to use a cane drill with flint.  It will be intersting to see if antler can cut into copper when it is soft. 

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 05:12:55 pm »
I know I need to be doing other things but I couldn't keep from cutting the bannerstone from it flow channels.   :o :o  Yeah!  I am liking that a lot.

Offline Patches

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 10:49:34 pm »
Looks like it came out good!
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:22:47 pm »
a little bit of filing has moved this along.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 07:45:57 pm »
Looks great! 

I wonder if one might be able to set up a bi-directional boring device that used the weight of the copper tool itself like a weighted fly wheel to do the drilling?  I'm thinking using some kind of a clamping apparatus with a bit of cane on each side filled with crushed bits of flint chips for grit.  Then you'd just spin the piece on the axis between the two .  Eventually as you spin one way then the other you'd slowly drill and auger out a hole bored between the two cane bits.  ...which should align with each other since they were drilled on a single axis.

Just my random pondering...  ;D

OneBow