Author Topic: Alternative arrow finishes  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
Alternative arrow finishes
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:55:21 am »
In my pursuit of a compostable arrow(no plastics) I am wondering what is a suitable finish for wood shafts. I would like to get away from any plastic based finishes, like poly-urethane etc.  I have recently tung oiled a pine shaft and the oil seems like it will work pretty well. What else could I use? My idea would be an arrow that holds up for hunting for a season in the PNW, but if I shoot it off into the woods, it would go back to nature on its own after a few decades. Thanks!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Alternative arrow finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 10:02:32 am »
Shellac is insect based I believe.  What about bear grease or bees wax?  I'm not sure how long any of those will hold up to being shot a lot.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:37:57 am »
I've used Huberd's boot grease on them with good results. I have switched to a spray varnish now.
What part of the PNW are you in? I'm also in the PNW, just out of Centralia, WA.  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:03:08 am »
I've used Tru-Oil, bear grease and pitch varnish, all with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 11:32:54 am »
What Pat B said. And shellac. Dunno how it does on arrows but it's a resin that a bug secretes and then it gets dissolved in ethanol. Haven't used it in a while but I'm pretty sure that's the stuff that doesn't have any harsh chemical smells and was actually kinda sweet smelling.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »
beeswax and olive oil 3:1 mixture  works really well.  If I remember right 3tbs oil to 1tbs wax, but I may be remembering backward.

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:03:53 am »
beeswax and olive oil 3:1 mixture  works really well.  If I remember right 3tbs oil to 1tbs wax, but I may be remembering backward.

I think olive oil goes rancid does it not. ?  Walnut oil is good but expensive.  One thing I like about Shellac is the Patina it gives the wood especially the amber stuff.  :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 06:50:08 am »

I think olive oil goes rancid does it not. ?  Walnut oil is good but expensive.  One thing I like about Shellac is the Patina it gives the wood especially the amber stuff.  :)
Bow101 is right, olive oil does go rancid after a while, spend a little more for the walnut oil, you'll be happy you did.

I have used a combination of a base coat of shellac and then tung oil on some arrows and was disappointed.  Not in the quality of the finish, but when I shot mine at some fibre targets at Mojam last year, the fibres melted to the arrows.  The heat that was generated from the arrow penetrating the target caused the finish to become soft which allowed the fibres to become glued to the arrow shaft.
I also had a recently finished bow at that same Mojam (90°+), the same finish had been applied some weeks earlier but it also became soft from the heat and my unstrung bow left an impression from where the string was resting close to the tip.

Has anyone else had any experiences like this with a shellac and tung oil combination?

Maybe a few weeks just wasn't enough time to allow the finish combo to fully cure?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:55:27 am by Aaron H (Falcon) »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 08:32:22 am »
Shellac and linseed oil mixture is called French polish and was traditionally used as a bow finish.   One problem with oil finishes is they should be renewed occasionally.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 07:14:40 pm »
Thanks for all the info. I am going to fletch up this tung oil finished shaft and hit my Hips target with it. See how it works. I will report in when I get results!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb