Author Topic: Once more...  (Read 7330 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Once more...
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 08:02:36 pm »
Got the whole thing tillered in one big rush. I was careful to not draw over 20 lbs until I felt it was pretty close. Nailed it. I figured I had to be close, so I worked up slow drawing longer and longer until I hit the 26" draw and it was almost 44 lbs. Sanding out to 320 grit brought her in at 40# @ 26".

I laid some fake snake fabric over the back and a coat of reddish stain on the belly.  Since this bow will be targets only, I am going to lay up multiple coats of gloss spar varnish. Gonna lipstick this pig real nice.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 08:08:49 pm »
um jw....pictures please!  how did ya make out set wise?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 08:15:36 pm »
Congrats! Look forward to pics.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 08:23:25 pm »
um jw....pictures please!  how did ya make out set wise?

Started with half inch of set. Tillered out ,but not shot in at about an inch.  Photos coming. Got a real photographer lined up to snap the requisite shots for BOM entries.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 01:14:47 pm »
Looked at the stain on the belly in the sun light today as I was doing final inspection.  I saw something I didn't like on the lower fade out.  So, I had to sand it out (lightly) and rework the stain.  Everything blended nicely, and I think I am about ready to sign it and lay up the gloss finish. 

Right now I am pretty sure that will be gloss spar varnish because of it's durability in all weather. 

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »
Looked at the stain on the belly in the sun light today as I was doing final inspection.  I saw something I didn't like on the lower fade out.  So, I had to sand it out (lightly) and rework the stain.  Everything blended nicely, and I think I am about ready to sign it and lay up the gloss finish. 

Right now I am pretty sure that will be gloss spar varnish because of it's durability in all weather.

John, Son of Halver, you're killing me!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 01:31:27 pm »
Great-Great-Great-Great Grandson of Halver Helgeson, actually. 

What's killin' you?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 01:37:37 pm »

Double nocks on each end of the bow.  This way, I can send along a long bowstringer and the young lady can easily string the bow without the step-thru issue that tends to shorten bow life or screw up tiller. 

Plus, I realized I could suggest the pattern of rattlesnake rattles in the tips. 

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 01:40:44 pm »
Beautiful! Solid work

I haven't had a relative named Halvor since 757, my 39th great grandfather.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 02:21:25 pm »
Looking good John

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 02:23:21 pm »
Halvor the rock gaurdian the bow is looking good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 03:01:34 pm »
One picture is maybe better than none but it really feels like you are just leading us all on.  Come on now.  MORE PICTURES!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 05:41:09 pm »
The "rattlesnake" nocks are awesome.  That's the first thing I thought of when I saw them with the snake pattern.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 03:51:17 am »
That frugly raw tip overlay pic was great. I do so much want to give that a shot. Do you just get the mating surfaces as flat as possible and what glue do you use? Can't wait to see the bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 12:47:41 pm »
That frugly raw tip overlay pic was great. I do so much want to give that a shot. Do you just get the mating surfaces as flat as possible and what glue do you use? Can't wait to see the bow.

Typically, I use a belt sander to grind the deer antler or cow horn piece flat and to general shape.  However, something is slipping in my belt sander and the belt does not turn anymore.  So this time I had to do it old school.  I clamped the section of antler in my vise and used a finer grade rasp to remove mass.  Once it was fairly close to the right cross section and taper, I put a full sheet of high quality 80 grit sandpaper down on a sheet of glass and push the antler across that.  Starting with light strokes and adding a little pressure as I go.  To check if it is dead flat, I scribble pencil marks all over the flat side and then give it two light strokes across the sandpaper.  Any evidence of pencil lead tells me I have a low spot. 

To get the bow tips dead flat, I used the 5" circular sanding pad on the side of the table top belt sander, since that still works.  You ask why I didn't use that to flatten the antler?  Well, those are smaller pieces of work and I have learned that they will slip and cause fingers to mash into the rapidly spinning, highly abrasive 5 inch disc leading to missing skin, fingernails, and bits of bone.  Got it?  Clear as mud?

Over the last few days, I have been using a can of spray high gloss polyurethane on the bow.  I have about eleventeen coats on it and it is looking pretty shiny.  Maybe yet this weekend I will get the doeskin grip sown on and the serving on the string and spare string.