Author Topic: A question regarding yew tillering  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Strichev

A question regarding yew tillering
« on: April 02, 2016, 03:50:45 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to bowyering (I made 3 hazel bows so far - two of them, despite having lifted a splinter, are barely shootable)  and need some advice.

I managed to acquire a nice yew tree, split it and... it turned out it had a wonderfully even propeller twist down the entire length. I wrote propeller twist, but it actually more closely resembles a screw than a propeller. The grain rotates 180 degrees from one end to the other! One might say that this slightly screwed my plans, pardon the wording.

Anyhow, how would one go about straightening such a twist, at least a bit? Steam? However this is not the main question, as I just barely squeezed the outline of a rather narrow longbow into one quarter of the tree. (I still have a workable halve and a totally warped quarter left). However, in order for the bow to actually fit in and not follow the twist that much, I had to compromise and choose a not so straight part of the trunk.

Now the part where one tip will hopefully be one day (an area of about 15 cm), has a distinct reflex (about 3 cm (1,2 inch)) while the part where the other tip will be (again, this even bend takes about 15 cm of the stave from, and including, the tip)  has just as much deflex. How will (or should) this cantankerous feature affect the tillering process and the final shape of the bow itself?

Should the limbs bend evenly at full draw, or should the part with reflex stay slightly straighter?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: A question regarding yew tillering
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 03:57:30 pm »
Hmmm, that's why I saw Yew rather than splitting it ::).
Steam will take out some twist, or you can lay the bow out slightly diagonally and tiller it ignoring the twist.
Plenty of stuff on my Bowyers Diary.
Hard to comment usefully without having the stave in my hand.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Strichev

Re: A question regarding yew tillering
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 04:12:17 pm »
Yeah, I'm not splitting yew again! Helll, I swear I shall only use branches from now on. Thankfully I found two patches totally well over 200 large yew trees and I won't run out of branches anytime soon. But still, it was with a heavy hart that I chopped down this tree and seeing it split that way... the horror. I need to plant some yews to ease the debt.

I did lay it out diagonally but it barely fits in. I'll post some pictures when I get back to it. Also, Del, your Diary is amazing, keep it up. Oh, and thanks for the reply.