Author Topic: My life as a Bowyer wannabe... a very short story!  (Read 7816 times)

Offline ryder

Re: My life as a Bowyer wannabe... a very short story!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 07:02:26 am »
Its hard to find copies of it these days. I could not buy it electronically either, had to import if from the US to Australia. Wasn't cheap. They should do another run of them

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 08:23:37 am »
This isn't a short story. It's just the intro to a lonnnnng story! Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 08:38:51 am »
If you don't have any luck finding a TBB vol 1 in the UK for a decent price,  perhaps you can find "The Bent Stick" by Paul Comstock. It's between $10-15 here. It's 51 pages long. It has a lot of good info and covers the basics of making white wood bows.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 02:39:26 pm »
My County (Oxfordshire) library has copies of The art of making primitive bows and arrows by D.C. Waldorf and The bowyers craft by Jay Massey both of which are great books. even if your library didn't have these I believe different Counties library services lend each other books. Could be an option?!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 03:06:23 pm »
Unlike Humpty Dumpty, a Numpty Dumpty can climb back up on the wall and start another bow once this one has been "mended beyond repair" (a Del the Cat quote). 

Good on you for taking on this task with your son!  Best of fortune to the two of you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline slybynight

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 04:12:37 pm »
Thanks guys!  I've got a bid in on that ebay TBB book - its a bit mouldy though!  Thanks for all the other book recommendations too!  Indeed - I see a lot of Bows in my future!  I really dont want to break this one though - its SO close! - I reckon it would shoot right now.... if I had anything to shoot at!..... or with !!!!

Offline slybynight

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 08:04:47 pm »
Sorry to repeat these q's guys but I could really do with some guidance on them... How long should I season for?  I think this is called a sapling bow right?   Do I need to treat the ends with anything while seasoning?  Should I wrap the shaved back? with what?  Should I heat treat the belly?  before or after more seasoning?  Should I do seasoning before or after further shaving?  I was going to cut in a shelf.  How far dare I go?  Any recommendations on string?  Just to add the bow is now under my bed... not in the garage.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:08:33 pm by slybynight »

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 10:39:35 am »
Not sure whether purchase method for electronic versions varies for the UK vs US but:

1.You do not need to own a Kindle to read Kindle books. You can add a free Kindle reader application to most other operating systems, including Android, Win, Mac. Calibre can also work in Linux.

The Kindle app is available for most major smartphones, tablets and computers. That means with the free Kindle reading apps, you can read a Kindle book on any device with the Kindle app installed*. You can also read that same Kindle book on a Kindle device if you own one.

*For iPhone and iPod, and iPad users: Obtain Kindle eBooks from any web browser and choose to have your eBook delivered to your app.

*Kindle for PC and Mac applications running a software version below 1.11.0 are no longer supported. To continue reading on your app you should download the latest version of the Kindle for PC and Mac. If you are running an operating system that is not compatible with our app, you may continue reading from your computer with Kindle Cloud Reader.

2.) All of the TBBS are available in electronic (Kindle) format.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:53:52 am by PlanB »
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 12:59:08 pm »
So far with hazel you do not need to be too obsessed with seasoning it properly because it doesn't tend to check. The fastest and safest way with saplings is to work on it to floor tiller while green and season according to the wood. You can speed the drying process of hazel and when you remove the bark you do not need to wrap the back. Also if this is going to be a kids bow with below 30 pounds than I wouldn't heat treat it because you aren't going to overstress the compression side. But If you ever plan on making one for yourself I would surely heat treat it because it would add performance and safety. Try to finish this one and gather as much info as you can. Unfortunately the TBB doesn't have much info on making sapling bows. Good luck
Time is short

Offline slybynight

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 05:45:21 pm »
Much much thanks for all your help and wise words.  An update to my story......  I AM A BOWYER!!!!!  it shoots!  it actually works!!!!  I did a bit more scraping and a lot more sanding and have left it above a radiator.  It still had a ridiculously low brace height,  but I got the fear with further tillering and thought id give it a go before the unthinkable (inevitable) happened!.   I bought some pads from amazon.. they are a bit small,  but fine for my son.  I dug out some crossbow bolts i had lying around and set up some damp chipboard as a target.  I havent cut a shelf yet,  so shot off the knuckle.  very tricky at first as the xbow bolts dont have a gripping nock... just a v shaped cutout.  after a few missfires... Success!!  oh boy!  its soooo powerful!  I cant pull it to my draw, Im about 6"from my chin,  but i nailed the wet chipboard worksurface to the solit wood Id put behind it!  got some nice red marks on my arm from missfires and small pads.  Lad had a go and got the arrow to stick in the target from about 10m.  there has been a bit of set but not too bad.  Interestingly,  while putting the bow back in its home,  i have noticed spots of raised grain right down the length of its belly,  kind of like a leopardskin pattern.  Its like the uppermost fibres have been raised slightly by the compression?  I must have done something right because the spots are evenly distibuted along the belly.  They will sand off ok.... I havr to scrape a bit more to make it useable for the lad.  Once I am done,  can I treat the wood somehow to prevent this?  all in all a great day of fun!  Back to that hazel tree to make some better arrows now!

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 07:56:23 am »
I bought my paperback copies of TBB for about 15€ each, second hand on Amazon.com (as good as new). Still available for similar prices there. 
Some idiots on the german amazon are trying to sell single copies for 600€...
you can find the paperbacks new for 20-25 USD, the complete set sells at 3rivers archery for 90 USD.

Trust me, you really want hardcopies, not digital versions only.

As for sapling seasoning: weigh the stave every day until the weight stops dropping for a few consecutive days. That means the wood is at equilibrium moisture with the environment. Mind you, the environment in the UK (where you're from?) is now still a bit too moist for ideal bow making conditions. I have difficulty (in Belgium) to get below 13% even indoors, whereas 10% would be a lot better and I guess it aint better in the UK.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 08:20:48 am »
All the TBB are available here http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/archery.htm plus many other books
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline slybynight

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 10:43:34 am »
OK - bit of further tillering and I'm nearly there - handle shaped and shelf cut in.  I am thinking that once I am done - linseed oil all over it?  am I right?  Also, the string is currently some braided nylon cord from the DIY shop - I dont really trust it - what bowstring would people recommend for my hazel selfbow?

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »
I would glue a strip of silk or linen onto the whole back. It will break one day at the spot where you reduced the back. You can use normal pva or a carpenter woodglue for the backing or buy some gelatine and make some hide glue.
The 'leopardskin' sounds like a load of chrysals or compression fractures. This is because the wood was likely still a bit damp. Until wood is down to a decent moisture content it doesn't have the required strength in compression to handle being a bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 03:33:15 pm »
Congratulations!
Here's my site, just in case you need it.
Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!