Author Topic: New member/question  (Read 4490 times)

Offline H.P.

New member/question
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:46:28 pm »
New to the forum, but long time traditional archer (never even fired a bow w/wheels before).  Anyways, I'm getting the selfbow bug and not sure where to start.  I think I've dried my eyeballs out looking at different kinds of staves, woods, kits, etc.  I've also looked around my local area for woods that might be appropriate for bow making as well.

I'm not a spring chicken and have worked with wood, bone, horn, and know my way around an adz and draw knife.  Haven't attempted a bow yet (but own many).

So, I guess my question is: is there a type of wood I should begin my bow making journey with?  Should I start with a stave or order a roughed out blank?  My apologies for the broad questions.

Advice appreciated,

Harris
If I'm not pulling on one string, I'm thumping on 4.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: New member/question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:12:11 pm »
Welcome HP. I would recommend Osage stave

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 03:34:55 pm »
You should start with a hickory stave or a red oak board. My site has info.
Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:02:13 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 03:38:24 pm »
HP, if you have access to good lumber hickory, hard maple or red or white oak is the easiest, cheapest way to go. George Tsoukalas' web site is linked below with lots of info about how to pics the proper bow through the whole process of building a board bow.
 Come back on here with pics and questions and we'll guide you along. Once you learn how to tiller properly you can use any board or stave using the same info.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/archer.html
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:40:44 pm »
Hickory is very forgiving for a first bow, and does not require you to learn ring chasing right away as Osage would.  I've seen a fair number of new guys get frustrated with that and go back to F#&*#glass bows right away.

I don't think you mentioned where you are located.  If you let us know, someone on here is likely close by - or will at least know what woods might be cheaply or readily available in your area.

OneBow

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 03:42:18 pm »
Hi H P welcome  I 2nd hickory got my first successful bow out of hickory ,also 2nd Georgie's site & a book called The bent stick by Paul Comstock ,My 2 cents is to start with a $6 board instead of $60 stave to start , Welcome to the addiction !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 03:44:19 pm »
you can see our opinions abound,, you will just have to pick one and go with that,,all above advice is a good starting point,,  :)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:47:36 pm »
When I started I worked with the wood I had in my area - that was ash and hackberry.  If you want to purchase wood to make a bow I would go with a hickory board bow or stave.  There are also lots of opportunities to go to a "bow jam" depending on where you live.  Can learn a lot at these and reduce the learning curve a bit by attending.  Good luck and enjoy!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 07:14:56 pm »
Something like this your going to hear a lot of mixed approaches. If you've got the self bow bug. Then make a self bow. I would recommend hitting up the trading post and make an offer (no money) for a good stave.
Then head over to the 'How to' section and pick out a self bow build a long:)

Good luck! And welcome!

-Bryce
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 11:41:05 am »
If you can afford it I would purchase a good seasoned osage stave and a copy of tbb#1. Exercise a lot of patience. There is no reason why you can not get a very good bow from your first attempt. Any of the other options are good also.           
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 12:20:07 pm »
Hello HP I'm new too not going to give a lot of advice just encouragement. many other with better advice than me. Just try to learn as much as you can and start working that draw knife. If you break a bow its all good just figure out why and start another. Take your time its more than just carving something that looks like a bow. Preparing back of bow and tiler very important. Good luck and have fun when you do shoot that bow you made it will all be worth it :)
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 01:15:03 pm »
I started with the bowyer bibles, this site, and Google. 
I know board bows are a good learning tool, but boards never interested me.
Where do you live? Learn your local woods and start cutting.
When I first started I bought my first 4 or 5 staves off eBay,

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 03:27:19 pm »
His profile says Corpus Christi. There's a couple or three PA members down there I think.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 04:02:25 pm »
Welcome to PA H.P.
There are several other bowyers here in Texas, we try and get together every now and then.
Send me a PM and I'll keep you in the loop.
What kind of hardwoods do you have access to down there?

Cheers
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 10:59:54 pm »
I say Hickory stave first then Osage second.
I personally wouldn't bother with a board bow unless I intended to back it with somthing.