Author Topic: How do I sinew?  (Read 5518 times)

Offline loon

How do I sinew?
« on: March 29, 2016, 01:07:34 am »
I smashed the tough transluscent tube-like red-brownish thing with rather big rocks, which showed the white strands. Then I washed it in water. Then I chewed on it and tried to separate it. Now I'm letting it dry on a towel.

Although my sense of smell is screwed, It smells like a dog. A rather big dog. Reminds me of some old German Shepherd, but it's deer sinew.

I want to use it for reinforcing the notches of my horn bow, reinforcing arrow nocks, and fletching.

I guess I need thinner strands. They seem pretty hard to separate. It seems like it has a bit of fat, but maybe it's just because it's moist. It has membrane-y parts. Should I smash it some more after it dries?

Offline loon

Re: How do I sinew?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 01:11:28 am »
I don't have hide glue, so... should I buy that titebond hide glue or go hunting one day? That'd have to be in a few months at the very least.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 03:41:29 am »
Keep pounding - til You have very thin CLEAN threads. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 04:47:32 am »
That's why I like back strap sinew for wrapping stuff , just keep pounding as Bob said, it will thin down.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:23:59 am »
Yep Loon, for all those purposes, backstrap sinew is the preferred choice.  It separates much easier and is strong like piano wire.  I prefer leg sinew for bow backing.  But, if that is all you have, keep at it.  It will work, just not as friendly.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:24:57 am »
Get a packet of Knox unflavored gelatin from the grocery store. It is food grade, very refined hide glue.
 You can wash the sinew in warm water and dish detergent. It will degrease it and hopefully help it smell like a clean big dog.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:32:30 pm »
Use Knox like Pat says or if you want to make your own hide glue rawhide dog chews work really well. I think they have been degreased. I soak it until it's soft enough to cut with scissors. Cut it into 1\8" strips and simmer slowly for 8 hours or so. Because there is no meat or grease it makes a very clean clear glue.

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 07:28:20 pm »
Thanks guys. Might try a mortar and pestle..

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:35:59 pm »
Does chewing it break fibers?
Should it be pounded wet?

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 03:04:43 am »
what I've found out until now
- Chewing too much gets rid of the glue, but if one has hide glue or similar separately it doesn't matter
- probably want to chew gently to avoid breaking fibers
- pounding with a rough/sharp rock can break fibers... use a smooth rock. I made a rather big dimple on the edge of the mortar when trying to beat the sinew to break it apart, a heavy smooth rock works better... would probably need to go near a river or something :\
- should probably pound dry?
- I think I'd much rather just have backstrap sinew if I could

Wonder how a sinew bowstring compares to a rawhide bowstring and a gut bowstring...

I've gotten a few fibers now, lots of them uneven and with big globs in between, but managed to wrap around a bamboo shaft for the nock and below the notches of my bow.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:07:12 pm by loon »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 08:43:21 am »
Pound your sinew dry. I have pounded it on a concrete floor, a piece of railroad track, and a big rock. I have pounded it with a hammer, round river rock and a hickory mallet. I start pulling the bundles apart with a pair of pliers, as the pieces get smaller I pull it apart with my hands, very labor intensive.

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:14:05 pm »
Pounded one leg sinew dry with somewhat porous but somewhat smooth/round-ish stones that were reddish and brittle, broke the largest stone. Got it dry into fibers. Seems a bit too easy to break the thinner sinew strands with my bare fingers. why. maybe the fibers aren't as continuous as i wish..

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 08:52:02 pm »
I pound leg sinew with a regular carpenters hammer on a flat 1 thick steel door weight.Pound it till you can pull it apart with a pliers and your fingers.Keep pulling it apart into halves.You'll get there.About 1/16" thick strands work the best.There's going to be waste with all sinew.Keep it though for making your own hide glue.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 08:56:40 pm »
Stripping sinew is more time consuming than anything.Once you get the hang of it you can strip 2 ounces in 8 hours fairly easy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 01:42:27 am »
that titebond hide glue is toxic, has some kinda additives which would make it unhealthy to reuse sinew and chew it again... oh well. gonna use it anyway, until I make my own hide/sinew glue. thanks.
I have enough sinew fibers now after I smashed more dry, and hard with the large rocks on a stump. Used only my hands to separate but had to pull hard. I fear that pliers could cut some of the fibers. They're rather short, about 9" or something, I bet much shorter than what I'd get with backstrap sinew, but good enough..
the strands are... pretty thin. maybe like dental floss
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:47:35 am by loon »