Author Topic: Sea grape stave  (Read 1816 times)

Offline wdugger

Sea grape stave
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:57:02 pm »
Greetings all,
I've had a sea grape stave sitting in my garage for a while now, and since I've had a lot more free time I've been playing Assassin's Creed 3. Anyway, through playing I became interested in making a bow and thought I'd see what I could do with the stave. After purchasing a draw knife and starting to rough shape it, I noticed some decent longitudinal cracks. I was wondering from the collective wisdom on here whether to keep going for a bow, or change to a walking stick. Including pictures.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sea grape stave
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »
Seems to me Parnell made a bow or 2 from sea grape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 01:05:54 pm »
So did Cody the Kid. I have a chunk in the shop Steve gave me. I need to get after it.

Those cracks shouldn't be a problem if you can lay the bow it a way you follow grain and miss them. Obviously, they cant be in the bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:29:05 pm »
  When you cut it you didn't seal the ends. Mosture excapeing caused it to cracks.

Was it set close to a heat scorce. Thats a big check (crack) check. Looks to me like you'll picked it up. If you did it's likey no good. LIKE'LY IT'S GOT WORM HOLES WITH THE CRACK. If this is the case and you did pick it up. Make it into a walking stick.

But you might be able to use that crack and finishing splitting it useing the crack.

I've never a sea grape bow. I've got to get out more are you talking about vine maple.

GOOD LUCK
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wdugger

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:37:05 pm »
Crooket, yes I did just pick it up, a lot of brush was cut down at my work back sometime early last year. I had no idea of what I was going to do with it at that point, I just liked it. Also, I am a complete and utter novice with this  :o.

Sea grape (coccoloba uvifera) is used to as a barrier along the coast especially down in South Florida

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 02:14:42 pm »
Hi, welcome to PA!
I did make a couple of bows from SeaGrape.  My opinion is that they want to bend in the handle and you need to definitely "overbuild" them.  The wood can be incredibly springy and light in the hand but Build it like you are aiming for a 100# bend through the handle bow. It does also respond to heat for taking out some kinky stuff but I'm skeptical of it being right for making severe recurves.  I'd just look to slightly flip the tips.  When I was able to cut some I scraped off the rind while it was green and then sealed the ends.

Eventually mine blew.  Not sure about 'ole Missilemaster's bow but his was definitely superior to mine.  Tell you what, dang sweet bow in SeaGrape if you can get it out.  That piece looks a little funky with checks and all but seeing as how you say your a new maker...what the heck.  Go nuts and learn something.

Hope this helps.  You in FL?
1’—>1’

Offline wdugger

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:12:02 pm »
Parnell, yes I'm in FL, Miramar currently and going up to Orlando area come summer. I'm discovering more little cracks along the body as I draw it free of bark. Haven't totally debarked it, there's a damaged area on the back that I'm trying to smooth out, but worried about drawing it too thin to make it work. We'll see how it goes.