Author Topic: rant  (Read 15868 times)

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
Re: rant
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2016, 10:35:59 am »
I never watch commercials.  I DVR shows that I want to watch, mostly crime dramas and outdoor related stuff.  I watch them later and skip all the adds.    I wish there was a way to do a pay per channel option with satellite TV.  I only watch about 8 channels but I pay for over 100.

No comment on religion or other topics discussed on this thread  :-X

Play station just launched a pay per channel option. I am leaning hard that direction as well. I just don't need all those home shopping channels.

I didn't know about this! I just cut the cord and went to internet only with Uverse because we weren't watching much TV but this would be great for getting CW back so I can watch "Arrow" : )

Offline WatchRyder

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2016, 03:25:10 pm »
I've gone the other way, all my video entertainment is streamed from the internet, either folks I enjoy watching on youtube, or shows on netflix, or stuff I just "download". No commercials, no problems. About the only thing I watch on broadcast TV are sports and Walking Dead because I just can't wait till the next day, someone at the office would have spoiled it on Monday, lol.

I stopped watching TWD when it went PC a few months back. TV is good for being thrown out the window for the most part. Having the power to watch indie stuff on Youtube or better yet, having your own channel to make TV is best.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2016, 03:28:49 pm »
I have to say, color me impressed with the civility of the members here with all sides being discussed. 

Personally, I loathe commercials more because of the pushing of "buy our cheap crap!  YOU NEED THESE (pharmaceuticals/clothing trend/vehicles/food/drink/politicians) to keep up with the neighbors and to live a happy life!"  Nooooo thanks.   

Offline bubby

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2016, 04:34:21 pm »
Thats why this is the best forum around ranasp
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2016, 05:21:53 pm »
I didnt realize how religious folks were about their tv. Perhaps we should add that to the no talk list.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2016, 05:35:06 pm »
^Ha!!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2016, 06:47:38 pm »
     I had dish network, and got tired of paying for a gazillion sports channels, none of which were outdoor sports, and for other shows I did not watch.  So I called and told the woman, that I do not watch sports channels, except for the outdoor sports, like hunting and fishing.  And then I said could I trade back all of the sports channels, and the other programs, I don't watch, and get the outdoor channel, the science channel, food channel, hbo, and history channel?  She said sure, we can upgrade you, and I said wait a minute, I wasn't talking upgrading, you weren't listening.  Does the upgrade have sports channels?  Oh yes, she said, you get all the baseball, foot ball, and..... I said see you weren't listening to me.  I said I do not watch those channels.  I don't want them, and I am paying for them.  So can I just give you back all of those sports channels, and other channels I don't watch, for the few that I do watch?  She said " Well does anyone else offer that?"  I said why be a follower, why not be a leader.  Give the customer the choice, to pick and choose, what they want to watch.  You can still do the package bit, with this many to choose from, in the this package, and this many from this package, etc.  Why force them to pay extra for the programs they want to watch, but include programs they don't watch.  She said well no one else is doing that.  I said again, why be a follower, try being a leader, don't wait for some else to come up with a good idea, and then try to follow, lead!  I asked her if she liked a really good steak?  She said oh yes I do.  I said what if every time you went to your favorite steak place, and you order your favorite steak, it came with a big glob of Rutabagas?  She said I hate rutabagas, I wouldn't eat them.  I said but you are paying for them, even though you don't like them.  She said well I wouldn't eat there.  I said me neither, come get your box.  I haven't had a TV since.  I have been thinking of getting one, and getting a computer rig called simply TV.  It is a one time price, you get the box, and hook it to your computer, and it has almost all of the stuff offered by dish, cable, etc.  And there is no monthly fee, it is a one time payment.  They will notify you of upgrades, and advancements, etc.  But for now, I just watch my cowboy TV out my dining room window, which only has the nature channel on it.  Deer, turkeys, bear, mountain lions, ground squirrels, sparrows, chickadees, red eared squirrels, Stellars' Jay, etc.

Wayne
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:21:10 pm by stickbender »

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 03:39:50 pm »
Its all part of the deterioration of our fabric. It started around 1980 and has manifested into an unstoppable force. Don't wait for the country to change as it cant ever be the same as it was, change your own family and hope the rest catch on.

Did you know in the 70's over 70% of American houses belonged to a wed couple? Its around 17% now. Did you know at that same time only about 20% of the births were out of wedlock? Its about 4x that now. Christianity, buy in or not, started those old values and it to is dying fast in our country. Spooky times just ahead my friends.

Religion has little to do with it.....Women leaving the home in search of the same equality as men has left children at home, with TV or daycare to raise them. (I HOPE NOT TO RUFFLE FEATHERS) Not saying women should not be able to make a income, but to have to choose a career vs. your kids has led us to this point in my opinion. All you have to do is look back at when the "Majority"of problems began, if your not blind you will see the correlation. No parents around is a sure way to trouble, and even those that do have full time dedicated parents will always have to compete with the attitudes of other children outside their home, that can drag a "good kid"down the wrong road. I live this, and have seen it more times than I care to count.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2016, 04:21:42 pm »
Uh, oh!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2016, 04:31:17 pm »
I am sure there are many correlations and reasons, materialism agreeably is one to be made there.. I am guessing you don't like to let sleeping dogs lie yah? Lol
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 04:34:43 pm by Lumber man »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2016, 04:47:54 pm »
"Wanting" to work is one way of putting it, Needing to is quite a different story. The average home price in the city I live in is $240,000 (My House was $210,000). There is not a very good chance that a single working adult could afford that home, along with a vehicle and utilities. Sandy is a pretty cheap place to live. The neighboring cities are $365,000, $420,000, $229,900 and $323,000. I grew up is South Jordan, my parents bought their home for $53,000 in 85, that city was all farmland, now the average home value is $365,000. I have been at my current job under a year, but have been in the same field for 12. I make about $20 an hour. My parents both worked because they had to, to make ends meet. I was a latch key kid, and only from the lessons of my Grand Parents, did I learn about hard work and about doing the right thing. I did run with the wrong crowd, and I could have ended up going down the wrong path.

Religion really does have little to do with it. I know religious people who are jerks, just like I know non religious people who are. One doesn't necessarily go with the other. Now, can't we post some pictures of bows? I would but I have been super lazy, and working on a gnarly stave.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2016, 08:59:09 pm »
Wheew!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2016, 05:36:00 pm »
     We pause now for a few moments for a cool breeze break.  Be sure to visit your closest refrigerator, and get some healthy, or not so healthy snacks.  I just had a bacon, spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and tomato, sandwich, with salt and pepper, basil, a dash of Cajun seasoning, and a nice cup of hot tea.  OK, now back to our regular scheduled rant.  I will wait to give my rant on the lunacy of the Montana game fish, wildlife, and parks commission.  I will just leave a tid bit of how I feel about them.  It is my honest opinion, they are the most imbecilic, inbred, bunch of alimentary canal exits, that ever set foot on earth.  With that, I will leave the forum open for the next rants, and then I might put forth, the reasoning behind my opinion of said state commission.
                                    Wayne
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:32:10 am by stickbender »

Offline PatM

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2016, 07:05:27 pm »
I always pictured everyone on here being tolerant and open minded.  ???

Personally I don't have a TV but  I'm not sure how much you can really protect your kid just by monitoring the TV.  Nor are you  going to have any impact on their sexual orientation by that or any other method.

Offline bubby

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2016, 07:41:34 pm »
Pat with the wide variety of members from all over the world you will get all levels of tolerance
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹