Author Topic: rant  (Read 15861 times)

Offline sleek

Re: rant
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 05:04:06 pm »
It doesnt take a Christian to not be homosexual. Plenty of atheist out there that are straight by choice. Nobodybhas said anything for or against homosexuality.  I doubt anyone will. So far this conversation has done well in that regard. Only way to figure if some one is against it is if they say they are Christian and even then you cant be sure, and that is profiling  ;D Nope, no discussion of religion going on here unless someone says tjat because I am a Christian I must be against homosexuality and then that person would be in violation of the rules. Not me.

They would be correct if they said moral decline has been happening since man was created. There is a Book that agrees with that and tells how it all happened.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 05:07:57 pm »
As a whole. There is no moral objection to who one loves except where there is a cultural tradition of religious taboo, generally of the abrahamic religions...

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 05:09:50 pm »
As for homosexuality.................. only the religious are concerned with it. [/quotefu

Are you commenting about the postings in this thread, or the discussion as whole in our culture?

That is a generalization that is false. The politicians are concerned with it. The religious may vote based on their beliefs.  America is great isnt it? to say only the religious are concerned with it says all the politicians are religious. I think that statement is obviously false. We religious tend to rule our household on what we believe is good and correct.  Should be no problem there.  I just want to filter the crap that enters my house.  It seems that disk idea is a good one. Thanks.

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 05:11:52 pm »
As a whole. There is no moral objection to who one loves except where there is a cultural tradition of religious taboo, generally of the abrahamic religions...

Dont forget the Muslims! That wouldnt be fair! Except the abrahamics treat homosexuality much better. We tend not to mistreeat them....

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 05:12:49 pm »
Sleek, Islam IS an abrahamic religion...

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 05:14:39 pm »
Boy am I mis informed. Gadda do some research.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 05:21:44 pm »
Comparative world religions is one of my hobbies....lol

Offline willie

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 05:29:36 pm »
Urufu

I was afraid that you might be opining about the discussion as a whole in our culture.

Let me ask you this, Are not people who point the finger at "a cultural tradition of religious taboo", being as much of an ideologue, as the folks they are pointing at?

I see much "fervor" on both sides of the discussion. Perhaps politics and religion are easily conflated when the discussions become passionate?

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »
Step 1: Sleek gets a dvr. Problem solved (for Sleek)

Step 2: We all go back to making bows and/or cool primitive utensils/tools

Step 3: Who wants to get a beer? : )

Offline bow101

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 05:34:58 pm »
Tv is not a big deals after all people and kids dont drive down the road watching the flat screens.  Its the Internet, yes its good for some things but the problem is most people spend so much time on their smart phones.
Last Summer I was in many places at once so to speak I can tell the difference between locals and tourists and noticed an interesting thing hardly any locals were out and about during the glorious days of Summer.

Why.??  becasue they are glued to the freaking screen. Young people dont even know how to communicate anymore.  The less time I spend online the better off I am.  Try to keep busy if not then I read a real book and not an E-reader.

My religion is Mother Earth.   :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 05:35:30 pm »
To be clear any mention of either politics and religion is to clarify the point being they are different from the topic of life choices or how you were born. 

Anyway,  my rant is over. I have said all I care to say one way or the other. No hard feelings towards anyone who commented and I appreciate the mods letting this carry its course.  Im out.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 05:43:49 pm »
Hmm, Willie I'm slightly confused. I don't believe I pointed any fingers, there was no rebuke or implication of wrongdoing etc., I just pointed out what I find in my objective, non-passionate analysis to be the facts. From a historical and cultural standpoint there does not appear to be any objective moral taboo against homosexuality that does not originate in religious traditions, mostly of the abrahamic variety. That's not a rebuke, that's just my analysis of the facts.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 05:51:16 pm »
Well this has most certainly tuned out to be one heck of a rant.

As to TV, did away with that several years ago and went to downloading shows I really want to see, those seem to be getting fewer and farther between.

As to the rest of it.  Things seem to be respectful so lets keep it that way so we don't have to shut it down
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline willie

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 06:21:32 pm »
Urufu

My last post was a bit confusing, and I apologize for my poor grammar.

To clarify, The finger pointers are of course the other tango dancers that seem to so passionately engage the religious folks with their "political" fervors, in the public discourse.

willie

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2016, 06:25:09 pm »
I was concerned about the direction this "rant" would go when it first came out. Religion and politics are at the top of the "do not do" list for a reason. I personally don't like any of it and don't think it has a place here on PA.
 I can appreciate Sleek's initial "rant" and agree with him even though I don't have kids living at home. Not only are TV commercials getting more ridiculous but they are taking more time from the shows. When I was growing up TV was free and we accepted the ads as part of it as a way to pay for the TV shows. When pay TV came about it was said it would eliminate the need for ads but we see where that has gone. Look what you pay now to have TV. Seems we should have a say so as to what ads are acceptable and when certain ads should be shown. Nothing like a constipation or male performance problems ad while trying to eat supper.
 Please keep this civil folks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC