Author Topic: Sinew wrapped bow nocks  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Sinew wrapped bow nocks
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 09:38:30 am »
  AGAIN WHY  LOOKS

Wants the reason. I've made 100's of tips never seen one break. Lots in the 70,80,90 pound range. 4 Over 100 pounds.  And I carve my tips in deep.

Those are really beefy tips on your bow.

I'd say if your having tip trouble it's because you've heated that bend in to fast with to high heat to long. When ever you heat your wood your changing and damaging woods cell struture. That can't be changed back. Woods like osage takes heat far better than any other woods. But even osage wood cells are damaged and your bow could be better than it would be.

Confusion reigns
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 01:01:50 pm »
 :)

Offline snowplow

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 07:58:11 pm »
Hey dudes, could I glue soak artificial sinew? Would the waxy finish be a problem? Seems like it wouldn't be ideal.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 08:01:28 pm »
Artificial sinew doesn't soak up glue very well in my experiences.
Silk thread soaks it up good though

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 12:13:04 pm »
If it's the wax in artificial sinew that's causing the problem I discovered the other day that xylene disolves wax extremely well. One little rinse took all the wax off a length of bowstring I wanted to use as a wrap.

Offline Nate

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 12:24:24 pm »
Love this conversation.  I laughed and laughed..... and maybe I even learned something!

Offline snowplow

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 10:54:46 am »
If it's the wax in artificial sinew that's causing the problem I discovered the other day that xylene disolves wax extremely well. One little rinse took all the wax off a length of bowstring I wanted to use as a wrap.

I ended up using the artificial sinew. I used some Xylene and it worked amazingly well! Thanks for the tip!!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 11:02:51 am »
  AGAIN WHY  LOOKS

Wants the reason. I've made 100's of tips never seen one break. Lots in the 70,80,90 pound range. 4 Over 100 pounds.  And I carve my tips in deep.

Those are really beefy tips on your bow.

I'd say if your having tip trouble it's because you've heated that bend in to fast with to high heat to long. When ever you heat your wood your changing and damaging woods cell struture. That can't be changed back. Woods like osage takes heat far better than any other woods. But even osage wood cells are damaged and your bow could be better than it would be.

Because some sinew backed bows don't have cut in nocks. Or because he wants to? WHY does it matter why?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 11:12:27 am »
Ammonia also dissolves wax. You might try Windex with ammonia if you happen to have that.
I love it when a plan B comes together....