Author Topic: going for bankruptcy ( 70@28 49"ttt pics added ) chrono numbers pg 6 NOW SINEWED  (Read 37879 times)

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
Re: going for bankruptcy ( 70@28 49"ttt pics added )
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2016, 12:14:50 pm »
That's one heck of a job you have done there Sleek.
Northern Ute

Offline sleek

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2016, 01:20:25 pm »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2016, 01:30:13 pm »
I am strongly considering reflexing the limbs to bring up string tension some. With only an inch of set I thinkni can stress the wood more. And I can drop the draw weight some also as I do that but if I drop draw weight I do believe string tension drops so that could be a waste of time.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2016, 01:41:19 pm »
But he's not making a pyramid bow....

I guess that's what I get for not reading the whole post.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2016, 02:06:41 pm »
1" of set? How are you measuring that man? I cant make a 64" bow take only 1". But that could be my problem alone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2016, 02:09:01 pm »
Awesome bow sleek. Hope you can bring em to mojam this year!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline DC

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2016, 03:13:46 pm »
Are those 4" tiles? That would give you maybe 2" of change from unbraced to braced? I was messing with lots of deflex and I started to wonder if there was a "law of deminishing returns" going on. I mean if you have to reflex the tips and limbs to make up for the draw weight that the deflex stole is there any gains to be made? I guess you get draw length on a short bow, anything else?

Offline sleek

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2016, 03:16:09 pm »
Pearl, after shaping the bow, and before doing any tiller work, I trace its profile on my door to my work room. After I get it tillered to full draw, I trace its new shape over the first one. That tells me where the set is and how much. I measure the distance between the first profile and the last at the tips.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2016, 03:35:40 pm »
Sleek, no one can deny your determination.  It's all about having fun and your having lots no doubt.
RDs are a tough nut to crack for me. A challenging design to nail, one day....
Don, besides allowing a longer draw on a shorter bow, RDs have a buttery smooth draw throughout.
And they look slick

Offline sleek

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2016, 03:37:02 pm »
Are those 4" tiles? That would give you maybe 2" of change from unbraced to braced? I was messing with lots of deflex and I started to wonder if there was a "law of diminishing returns" going on. I mean if you have to reflex the tips and limbs to make up for the draw weight that the deflex stole is there any gains to be made? I guess you get draw length on a short bow, anything else?

I am getting about three inches of tip movement at brace. Doing it that way, based on a typical 6 inch brace height, I am actually able to use half the stored energy that a 6 inch brace has. So even though string tension is lower I am able to get more energy from a low brace. This design works best with full contact recurves because as you draw back the bow gets longer and helps to negate the diminishing returns you correctly mention. They are still there but just reduced. Another thing is, because of the deflex, the string has a leverage advantage over the limb tips, this requires the limbs to be more massive to fight the leverage advantage. I feel with the more mass in the limbs, there is less set because you have more wood fighting the stress. I could be way off base there though but these short bows have some very thick limbs. I will post some dimensions later today to illustrate my point.

I will add with reduced string tension the bows are much quieter on release and with shorter limbs, tree stands and tight shooting quarters are much more doable. I want to make a compound bow sized self bow that is a viable hunting bow and standard yardage. I feel I am damn close to it.

Point is, when you build this bow you are instantly at a disadvantage on energy storage. Everything you do after is to reduce the effects of lower energy storage, and use the energy you have more efficiently. The recurves, wider limbs, reflexed limbs, anything you  can do to increase string tension and reduce tip mass and keep stability. So far, it seems if its done right a very effective bow can be built. My arrows on all these short bows have more than enough penetration as demonstrated at OJAM with some of our fellow forum members.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:41:37 pm by sleek »

Offline PatM

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2016, 03:44:31 pm »
Get some reflex in those limbs and you'll regain your losses.

Offline DC

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2016, 03:57:46 pm »
But do you lose your gains? ;) One advantage that I forgot about is that they look really cool ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2016, 05:19:31 pm »
yes it has a very beautiful line a full draw,, I like a straight bow too, they are all beautiful to me,, :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2016, 10:57:37 pm »
Just shot it. Probably the fastest bow i have made. Im amazed. I still need to make some adjustments but this bow is damn fast. Holy crap fast.  Only one problem I cant take it to 28" anynmore. Lifted a splinter at the lower fade. Its from not following a ring across the handle. Thought i could get away with it. I was wrong.  Seems ok at 26.

Offline sleek

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2016, 10:58:47 pm »

These bows allow no errors in workmanship.  Period.