Author Topic: calf skin shooting jerkin  (Read 6776 times)

Ruddy Darter

calf skin shooting jerkin
« on: March 21, 2016, 02:52:01 pm »
Thought I'd post some pics of a calf skin leather jerkin I made for loosing arrows, originally it had no openings and I just pulled it on over my head but I growed some ::) and so I put in a front opening and adjustable  lace up side openings for when thicker under clothing is worn. It's  a comfy fit and protects my chest from string slap which was becoming a painful problem.
I don't suppose it's a major achievement or elegantly made but it took me a fair bit of effort to get right.

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:20:33 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Ruddy Darter

Re: calf skin shooting jerkin
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:00:39 pm »
Close up of front neck and lace up side...

Rudz.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 03:35:12 pm »
Nice work on your jerkin, RD. Is it all hand stitched? looks like it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 03:54:31 pm »
Yes Pat B,  I used a carpenters bradawl which I filed sharper and narrower and tapped the holes out with a hammer with a piece of wood underneath, then stitched with linen thread heavily coated with beeswax, by hand using two needles together for strong stiching. The jerkin has had multiple coats of a beeswax based waterproofing cream. It was originally an off white creamy colour but gets darker with every outing from sun exposure, by the end of this summer it's going to be a nice darker golden colour I reckon. :)

Ruddy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:35:46 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 04:48:21 pm »
Looks good.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »
  Thank you Pat B  :)

Ruddy Darter.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 06:16:16 pm »
nice job the stitching looks very good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 07:58:38 pm »
Thank you bubby, I got a large hide of very thin calf skin, the kind that's used to line boots with, I'm toying with the idea of making something more tailored, maybe double it up, smooth skin facing inside and outside and quilt stitch it with a linen layer or two between them for a leather Jack/gambison of sorts,( although it may be to hot for me), or if I can find silk for lining I'll make a nice shooting waistcoat medieval style. It's a nice hide with mottled skin tones still remaining. It would look very olde worlde if I put it to good use.

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:01:43 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 10:50:33 pm »
I've done lots of leatherwork but not clothing.  I would like to make a brain tanned war shirt or coat/jacket of some sort. Now, all I need is 3 or 4 brain tanned hides.  ;D  Hand stitching is all I do. Time consuming but therapeutic.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 11:16:49 pm »
Nice!  Did you line it with anything, or just have the grain side plain?  Are you in the SCA?

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 05:29:28 am »
Thanks Ranasp,

No I didn't line it, the flesh side is quite smooth and doesn't cause under clothing to ride up that much. It feels good as it is so I won't chance spoiling the fit. The thinner hide I have is a lot more 'furry' on the flesh side and would have to be lined or worked flesh side out, an idea I'm playing with as the suede looks very nice, an orangy-red brown.
I'm not in the SCA, I don't really have the time or motivation, I bet it would be great fun though 8).

Ruddy Darter.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 10:06:07 pm »
That is really nice. :) You are quite talented. 8)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 03:16:03 am »
Thank you Zuma,

I don't know though, it came out alot different from what was first planned, it became too snug and would ride up when aiming and crease up and get in the way, so a chop here and there and I'm happy with the jerkin now. I'd save myself a lot of work by making a maniquin first. Saw a good method of doing this on Google---->wearing on an old T-shirt wrap one's torso with cling film, then wrap over the cling film with a good layer of gaffa tape (reinforced tape), then cut up the centre(or back) and remove, then stuff with cut up newspaper or suitable packing material and rejoin the cut centre, mount on a broomstick with a fixed base. I'm going to try this over the weekend. ;D

Ruddy Darter.
(A minor hand injury held up completing the carvings, all good now and will show finish on that post)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:54:52 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 08:13:40 pm »
Well if you are going to those lengths Rudy, I am a 48" long. lol
You and Pat B should team up. I am sure you have seen his
paper machete art work? I only wish I had the talent.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 08:28:56 pm »
Lol, no plans on being a full time tailor just yet Zuma ;D. Yes, Pat B's mache English bowmen is coming on a treat, looking forward to seeing it with all the finished details  8).

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:56:25 am by Ruddy Darter »