Author Topic: Breaking free from cedar  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Electricfrontporch

Breaking free from cedar
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:32:06 pm »
Finally made a few that fly good. Rivercane shafts with artificial sinew wrapped turkey fletching. Points are Georgetown keokuk and obsidian. Thanks for looking.....Noah
Don't Panic!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Breaking free from cedar
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:49:30 pm »
Nice!  They look quite effective. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:03:55 am »
Sweet :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 02:44:22 pm »
Only thing I like about cedar is that they smell good when they break. 

Nice bow bullets you got there! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 04:43:35 pm »
I strongly agree with JW!! They do smell good.

Sweet lookin cane arrows. You did a great job.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Electricfrontporch

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 04:49:26 pm »
They do smell good but the price stinks! Glad to have gained the ability to make bullets for free!     Noah
Don't Panic!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 05:40:17 pm »
Very nice.....they look like they'll get the job done.....glad their flying good for ya.
I'm a big fan of rivercane.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:38:10 am »
The right piece of ERC will make a decent arrow with the same pleasant aroma. The price is much better, sometimes free depending on location.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 08:18:37 am »
I don't have any luck with ERC or WRC. I've tried a couple times but they always end up under spined, light, and brittle  :-\
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 08:40:36 pm »
It takes the right piece of wood for sure. I was never able to get a spine over 55# out of erc, but the ones I got were light and fast. Rubbing oil into them help with the brittleness. I've used everything from motor & cooking oils to tung & linseed oil with similar results. I like to use cooking oil for a few coats after a week or two I'll seal them with a wood oil. I never use any power tools to make them either, just a surform and sand paper. They are far to prone to tear out.

For what it's worth I've switched over to tulip poplar for my wood shafts, more durable. I still use ash on occasion if I need a heavy hitter. I also use bamboo stakes. I found a deal on them $70 for 500 @ 3/8" diameter. The boo is far more durable than any wood I've seen thus far.

I use the ERC for kids arrows and other lighter weight bows. The poplar would work I'm sure, but as was stated cedar just smells so wonderful. I'd hate to eliminate from my shop entirely. I also use it to make flutes and to line trinket boxes. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline WatchRyder

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 03:15:46 pm »
Only thing I like about cedar is that they smell good when they break. 

Nice bow bullets you got there!

They smell good even before that. My niggle against them is when you wood stain cedar you can't let it dry 'wet' with any excessive coating or it'll leave a residue (unlike pine which absorbs it more).

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 10:51:09 am »
Good looking stickers there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bow101

Re:
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 03:03:38 pm »
"Breaking free from cedar"   what kind of cedar...?  Port Orford.  There are others that are just as good, like Yellow cedar, Hemlock, D-Fir etc.....etc....   Port Orford is overrated.  >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline WatchRyder

Re:
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 12:07:31 pm »
"Breaking free from cedar"   what kind of cedar...?  Port Orford.  There are others that are just as good, like Yellow cedar, Hemlock, D-Fir etc.....etc....   Port Orford is overrated.  >:D
It's widely available though, although an internet rumor a year or so ago said the supplies were running low...

Offline WatchRyder

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 12:08:51 pm »
It takes the right piece of wood for sure. I was never able to get a spine over 55# out of erc, but the ones I got were light and fast. Rubbing oil into them help with the brittleness. I've used everything from motor & cooking oils to tung & linseed oil with similar results. I like to use cooking oil for a few coats after a week or two I'll seal them with a wood oil. I never use any power tools to make them either, just a surform and sand paper. They are far to prone to tear out.

For what it's worth I've switched over to tulip poplar for my wood shafts, more durable. I still use ash on occasion if I need a heavy hitter. I also use bamboo stakes. I found a deal on them $70 for 500 @ 3/8" diameter. The boo is far more durable than any wood I've seen thus far.

I use the ERC for kids arrows and other lighter weight bows. The poplar would work I'm sure, but as was stated cedar just smells so wonderful. I'd hate to eliminate from my shop entirely. I also use it to make flutes and to line trinket boxes.

$70 for 500 shafts? That is phenominal! I pay $25 for just 24 shafts of Northern Pine!