Author Topic: Stave wood from my property  (Read 7010 times)

Offline TheArborist

Re: Stave wood from my property
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 04:52:50 pm »
I like the chainsaw splitting idea.  As a tree worker, a chainsaw is a pretty second nature tool for me, so I could see that saving some time on difficult species.  I used to carve little thrones with my chainsaw out of stumps for people when I did removals.  They thought it was novel, and it saved me having to grind the stump.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 05:19:02 pm »
I like the chainsaw splitting idea.  As a tree worker, a chainsaw is a pretty second nature tool for me, so I could see that saving some time on difficult species.  I used to carve little thrones with my chainsaw out of stumps for people when I did removals.  They thought it was novel, and it saved me having to grind the stump.
we simple minded folks love pictures!

Offline TheArborist

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 05:32:06 pm »
Here you go:

This was actually a big hackberry removal.  That would have been a lot of bow staves.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 05:34:19 pm »
I can't find the cup holder  ;)

Offline J05H

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 05:43:03 pm »
The two obvious choices have already been mentioned, but I'd like to point out one that may have been overlooked. Post oak is part of the white oak genus which is generally well regarded as bow wood.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 06:01:12 pm »
I like the fly box.  Very nice work.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 07:20:31 pm »
That fly box is slick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 07:45:44 pm »
Another vote for hackberry.  Nice easy wood to work.  Those boxes are too cool.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 08:10:44 pm »
For what it's worth.... I just got through finishing my first Hackberry bow and loved working with the wood and it made a pretty good bow.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline txdm

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 04:05:12 pm »
Fellow central Texan here, and I'm planning to split this post oak log real soon. The ground gave out on it's roots last year, and I cut it and let it set for a while. I was intending to use it for a post, but it looks straight enough to try for some staves.

You can tell my chain was just about well-done on the day I cut it down.  :P
I imagine it will be darn near impossible to just split with a hammer/wedge.

TheArborist, don't forget about Mulberry! It's pretty common in the post-oak savannahs and thickets around the lost pines areas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 04:42:21 pm »
I wouldn't use that log for bow staves. It will make good firewood.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline txdm

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 04:55:58 pm »
I wouldn't use that log for bow staves. It will make good firewood.   ;)

Serious? I wouldn't know... but I don't want to wast time on it if its not good.

BTW, I have loads of post oak logs for bbq-ing already. Also have a huge cedar elm that was struck by lightning... its still standing. The branches that have fallen from it are like stone!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 05:35:11 pm »
That elm and hackberry seem like the place to start.  One of my favorite staves to find is a clear, straight split, 68" long or more, from a 5" dia. hard "white" elm sapling.

Honey locust will make a bow, but has lots of issues and is mediocre to decent at best.  Heartwood sure is pretty, though.

If you cut a branch or sapling you can take a bow from the upside, or the downside, in my experience.  Most people I've heard say, say they prefer the upside, as it often dries into nice reflex and has favorable growth ring thickness. 

If you try taking a stave from the side of a leaning tree instead of top and bottom, you will have nightmares.

Offline txdm

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 06:06:11 pm »
Thanks for all the advice Springbuck.

We planted about 30 honey locusts last year because they make good garden trees (light shade and good rhizomes)

The more I read, the more I realize I'm blessed to have some acreage here. Lots of good bow woods grow natively or will grow here with ease. I'm not sure how Osage Orange would do in my sandy soil, but that would be awesome.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 06:08:29 pm »
txdm, that oak log is no good for bow making.  White woods need to be split and kept dry as quick as you can after they are cut.  Fungus and rot set in very fast.  I'm afraid you would be wasting your time if you split that into staves. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left