Author Topic: Can someone recommend learning resources?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline make-n-break

Can someone recommend learning resources?
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:20:42 am »
I've been trying my hand at Knapping and I've got to say it's a pretty sad endeavor lol. I'm working with beer bottle bottoms and premium floor tile which are my only two readily available learning materials.

Turkey season is approaching rapidly and opens March 25th in Nebraska. I have many razor sharp and ready-to-rock broad heads forged out of spoons, but I REALLY want to harvest one with a knapped point this year.

Can you guys recommend your favorite learning/instructional resource? It can be a DVD, Book, website, YouTube video, anything. I've been watching heaps of YouTube videos but I'm just not quite understanding the basics of angles and percussion. I get tons of step fractures and breaks. I break a dozen points mid-completion before I get one that's serviceable.

Here's my ONLY surviving point that I trust with taking a life. My state only requires 7/16 cutting surface for turkeys. This one is just shy of 1" wide and slices rawhide like butter. I've got a few more hideous ones that will work fine for rabbits and squirrels.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline bowmo

Re: Can someone recommend learning resources?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:12:17 pm »
Flintknappingtips and paleomanjim on YouTube are my go to teachers.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 06:54:57 pm »
That's a bottle bottom!?! Awesome. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you some good stuff. Real rock and some good resources. How late does season go for?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:38:09 pm »
Make a trade ASAP. More poinst here than Snow Geese.
I am not home so I can;t  help. This community will.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 12:19:10 am »
Season goes to May 31.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline turbo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 01:07:13 am »
A live knap-in is best but since you're on a time crunch... what part of the country are you in? Youtube is a good supplement but as you said, it can be hard to see the subtleties.

Do you knap abo, copper, both?

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 01:21:58 pm »
Southeast Nebraska turbo... I use abo and copper but mostly copper.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 04:51:38 pm »
There is a series of knapping instructions and all are good;

http://flintknappinginfo.webstarts.com/uploads/BasicConcepts.pdf

I think I am okay posting this link since it is not a business or selling anything....
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline turbo

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 11:02:37 pm »
Southeast Nebraska turbo... I use abo and copper but mostly copper.

Ok, I'll send you a PM w/ some ideas on knap-ins.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 08:23:25 pm »
Nclonghunter, thank you for the link. I had no grasp of the centerline concept which explains a lot of my troubles. Thanks for that resource. I'm excited to try again tomorrow.

Offline phyankord

• Everyone starts somewhere
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 08:25:55 pm »
billy made a few videos on youtube about glass bottle bottoms. his youtube is primitive pathways if i remember correctly.