Author Topic: Flat bow deminsions  (Read 3666 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Flat bow deminsions
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:44:06 am »
I want to build my first osage flat bow.  I want a bow that is 66" NTN, and will finish up between 50-55lbs at 26"  Can anyone tell me what deminsions to use to come up with this and make a good shooting bow with as little hand shock as I can get out of it. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Flat bow deminsions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:11:22 am »
These Holmgaard bow of late would be a good design.
  Another would be 1 3/8" at the fades and out 6" then a straight taper to 3/8" tips. By leaving your tips thick, but narrowing them, you can reduce the physical weight of the tips(one source of hand shock) without loosing the strength needed to support the weight you are shooting for. I usually keep the outer 6" of each limb stiff and make them as narrow as I feel safe doing.
   You could also go with a bendy handle(Cherokee style) bow, 1" to 1 1/4" at the handle area and a straight taper to 3/8" tips or for a more traditional Cherokee bow, 1/2" to 3/4" tips and side nock without loosing much in  performance.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:43:58 am »
I like Pats 2nd dimension and doing what he said on the tips is the way I do it and have very little shock ,at least non I can tell.That should make the weight you want barring no problems and then
you would still have the option of cutting it down in length a little.Keep us updated.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:40:23 am »
when youve finished tillering the bow you can scrape the tips to remove any unneeded weight. just be sure to check it constantly just like when your tillering to make sure your not getting whipped tips

330bull

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:19:49 am »
I just built a 50# @ 26" flatbow.  Believe it or not, the ntn is only 55 1/2" and it bends through the handle.    Dimensions are similar to the Cherokee style bow that Pat B mentioned.  I love it!

I'll post pictures later.

Joe