Author Topic: Don't know what I am doing  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Lumberman

Don't know what I am doing
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:52:08 am »
My brain is turning to mush for some reason, I can see where there is a greater bend on the right limb.. But I feel like anything I've taken off over the past couple days, the profile just stays. Furthest I have gotten yet on one.. Ugh

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Don't know what I am doing
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:01:09 am »
Your right limb is bending way too much about 10" out from your handle.

Do you have a tillering gizmo?

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:42:14 am »
Yeah  I am not sure what to do to fix that? I do, I think I should have made it longer though.. I made a crappy gizmo, a dangerous tiller tree, and an inaccurate Flemish twist board, glad for this site but still feel like I'm doing everything wrong to figure anything out haha

Offline mulberry

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:45:19 am »
I'm with you man! My tillering looks the same and you described my tools to a "T". Rome wasn't built in a day, upgrade as you can.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 11:49:04 am »
Whats the layout and is one limb longer than the other
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 11:52:18 am »
Work on your fade integration into the working limb first.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 12:04:19 pm »
Work on your fade integration into the working limb first.

I am with Pat on this one work on the transition from handle to limbs first or trouble you dont want may be comming,
as far as tiller goes its a start toward what you want
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline John Scifres

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 12:29:14 pm »
First, don't panic.  Second, don't get in a hurry.

Based on that pic, I would:

Go ahead and work on the handle to limb transition a little at least to appease our eye.  But don't remove any wood from the limbs, just the glued on handle.

Then double check your layout.  Make a mark every 3 inches along the limbs.  Number your marks 1, 2, 3... from the handle to the tips.  Then measure the width (side-to-side) and mark it at each location.  Where it doesn't match your desired width or where it doesn't match from limb to limb, make it match.

Then do the same for thickness (back-to-belly).  Make sure the thickness is consistent at each mark.  And that it matches your desired layout.  And that it matches from limb to limb.

Once you get your layout perfect, post another partially drawn pic.

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 01:41:12 pm »
lumberman-

can you clamp a straight stick to the back of the handle so you can compare the tip travel of each limb? you may need to get the left limb tip to come back as far as the right, before doing any more work to the right limb.

if you have not already, establish a mark on your string as you nock point so you can be consistent,

As you take measurements from straight edge to tips, you might want to move your nock point mark some either way, just so you how much difference it makes

also look to see if the unstrung bow sits square to the row of holes you drilled for your string pegs,

once the bow sits square on the bow seat pegs, you might be able to see if the bow rocks on the seat when you draw the bow on the tiller tree. I assume that your tiller tree has a pulley on the bottom? the string peg holes makes me think that your tree is a tiller stick, but maybe you have both?

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 10:36:20 pm »
Thanks for the help! I've not been able to work on it more but I will get the handle closer, got a better rasp so that should do better than the file.

Bubby I was originally following your build along but took too much off and so I put some walnut on.

John thanks a lot I will do as you said, appreciate it

Willie thanks as well yes it's not a tree as it has no pulley? Thanks for your tips as well, obvious points that I needed stated to realize ha, thanks!

Mulberry yep one brick at a time sure feels slow yeah? Glad I'm not the only one

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 06:00:10 am »
Then double check your layout.  Make a mark every 3 inches along the limbs.  Number your marks 1, 2, 3... from the handle to the tips.  Then measure the width (side-to-side) and mark it at each location.  Where it doesn't match your desired width or where it doesn't match from limb to limb, make it match.

Then do the same for thickness (back-to-belly).  Make sure the thickness is consistent at each mark.  And that it matches your desired layout.  And that it matches from limb to limb.

Have been doing the thickness compares for awhile. Definitely has improved tillering outcomes.
Why did I not think to do same re width compares? Will begin starting tomorrow.
Thanks, John, for chiming in!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:04:11 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 07:58:19 pm »
Well I did what you guys said, the three inch sections for width and thickness was extremely helpful. Thanks for saving me from the handle problems I was headed  for Pat and Buckeye, is that better or does it need more off at the handle transition?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 08:05:56 pm »
Your fades are bending which is fine if that is what you want. Right limb looks good. Left limb need some scrapes mid limb on to the tips. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 08:11:46 pm »
Never mind it dieded, praise The Lord it hit me on the head and not the face haha. Ouch.. Being disfigured on top of dimwitted would have been rather unfair