Author Topic: Laminating wood together with bike innertubes  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Laminating wood together with bike innertubes
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 03:20:55 pm »
I do use a pressure strip above the backing for even pressure along and across both limbs.  I don't do boo backing anymore so boo backing methods are irrelevant for me. However, you can make backing strips that mate up well with a boo backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 03:45:56 pm »
I have heard the thing to watch out for when using inner tubes is the cupping effect that is gives to thin backings such as bamboo. Has anyone experienced this?
On flat backings a rubber strip can theoretically apply more force along the edges than the centre especially with a wide backing.
The standard solution to this problem is a thin strip of card/thin wood etc running down the center of the backing to add some pressure along the middle.
Bamboo backing are slightly curved so don't suffer from this problem in my limited experience.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 03:47:45 pm »
Del is spot on in my opinion, the flat backing is the one that needs a strip in the center not boo
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 03:53:38 pm »
I have heard the thing to watch out for when using inner tubes is the cupping effect that is gives to thin backings such as bamboo. Has anyone experienced this?

I had cupping once in a small area and it was remedied, that was because the width varied.  If the piece you are gluing on is wider you will run into sloppy workmanship.  And I have done it both ways having straight limbs and tapered width.   :) Hence the lam has to be tapered.   What Del said makes sense something to keep in mind.
I basically do it the same as Beadman.  Open form.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:05:25 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 05:35:13 pm »
 8)