Author Topic: Laminating wood together with bike innertubes  (Read 6374 times)

Offline ajooter

Laminating wood together with bike innertubes
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:20:34 pm »
Got me a couple inner tubed and wanted to laminate some woods together to make some levers.  Do you guys split the inner tube in half or just use it as is in the round?

Offline PatM

Re: Laminating wood together with bike innertubes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »
Depending on the size of the tube you'll get more from it if you at least split it in half etc. It's easier to handle when just a single thickness.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:05:03 pm »
Road bike tubes I cut into 2 strips. Wideish tubes (ie mountain bike tubes) I usually cut into 3 strips.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 07:15:23 pm »
You can also cut it in 1/2" wide bands if you have a caul
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:27:23 pm »
That is why I love this place....ty gentlemen

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 07:27:28 pm »
You can also cut it in 1/2" wide bands if you have a caul

Keep sayin' to self, "Gotta make one of those peg/band cauls!"
What type tubes do ya usually use and what's distance rom pegs to caul's top surface?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »
I go to the bike shop and get what they are throwing away, mostly mountain bike tires for the bands and the narrow tubes i cut in strips. The pegs are an inch down on the caul Mike and I use a screwdriver to get the bands on, a little leverage never hurt right😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »
Thanks knoll for posting that.

I'm about to make a caul and that design is way better suited for me than the way I was gonna go. Plus there's no need for a compressor or pump, and leaks aren't an issue at all. It will also find a use for all those rejected dowels/ non- arrows I've accumulated. Good stuff all around.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Stoner

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 10:48:26 pm »
I see said the blind man. Thanks for turning on the light bulb for me. John

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 11:08:22 pm »
I took a car tire innertube and there are lines on it to cut around it nice and evenly.I cut mine about an inch and a quarter wide.That way when I wrap it on as hard as I can it is about 1/2" wide.That's just my way.It's overlapped to cover every square inch.There are other benefits of using black inner tubes with the quick curing of smooth on epoxy if it's warm and sunny enough outside.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 04:15:19 am »
I have a load of off cuts of rubber roofing sheet which I use, cut into about 1" wide strips. It is V handy to have some cut shorter and thinner, this allows you to get something strapped in place before you start heaving on the bigger straps.
It's a damn good work out wrapping bows.
IMO it's good to get at least 2 layers of strapping. It will be hard to wrap too hard and squeeze out all the glue, it's much less harsh than rigid clamps and it distributes the pressure better.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 07:17:35 am »
Same.i have a roll of rubber roofing membrane that I cut into 7/8" x 6' long that work well.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 10:39:57 am »
Really one of the main things for a nice thin glue line is to have or know of someone that has a drum or thickness sander.Innertubes will make the glue line almost invisible and that's what I want.Of course without starving or dry jointing it and innertubes won't do that too quick.Handy and useful thing to have around.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 12:21:59 pm »
I've gotten my best glue lines using inter tube bands to clamp glue ups.   Any bicycle shop will give you used tubes if you ask.  I cut the section with the valve stem out then cut the remainder lengthwise into 2 strips and I use 1 to wrap each limb. After its wrapped it can be formed on a caul for the intended profile.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 02:45:15 pm »
I have heard the thing to watch out for when using inner tubes is the cupping effect that is gives to thin backings such as bamboo. Has anyone experienced this?