Author Topic: 45.5" TTT 65#@26" osage in progress ( FULL DRAW PAGE 2 ) fd chart pg 5  (Read 15416 times)

Offline sleek

I have no pics and have barely started yet. Actually, all I have is a profile roughed out on the stave ( billet? Where to draw the line? ) and hope.  As the titles states its going to be 45.5 inches tip to tip before i put all the curves in and a stiff handle.

Its going to have 5 inches of each limb dedicated to 90 degree hooks. Going for the horn bow look on this one. It is super thin ring and probably sapwood back two tone with a tempered belly.  Should have it shooting or broken by the weekend.  It has a few knots on the back that i need to figure out.

I have lots of hope to get these super short shorties figured out for best performance they can offer. I believe there is very real potential in them especially for brush and stand applications. Not to mention a bit of speed.  I have a build theory on them that i will explain once i build a few more and figure out if i know what i am talking about.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:34:38 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: 45.5" TTT 50#@26" osage in progress
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:53:49 pm »
Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 10:57:02 pm »
Thanks knoll, I think I'm gonna need it. Shortest bow I have attempted. If anyone knows of similar shorties id love to read and study them.

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:21:40 am »
That's incredibly short for me, if you are not going to sinew back it. Good luck.

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:46:32 am »
It can be done Kevin. You just have to decide if it's only worth just a few shots.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 08:58:55 am »
Thanks jonW. I of course have to find a way to make it a reliable bow for daily use and not a one shot wonder.

Scp, this will be a self backed sapwood bow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 11:39:45 am »
sounds like you are pushing it bit,, but you know that,,
stiff handle and sap wood,, are not working in your favor,,
I am guessing you will put in quite a bit of deflex  to start with,,
It seems to me the wood will take enough set to diminish the speed you may be expecting,,
but I am just guessing,, have not made such a bow,,,best to you on your project,, :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 12:18:50 pm »
Going shorter than ever and using sap as a back may be tempting the fates too much. Certainly will have a hard time knowing if its the sap or design that made it break if it does. Oh, yes, 3 inches of deflex is planned.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:44:12 pm »
I should add. The hope is that the deflex I add will prevent the cast robbing set. There will be a loss in string tension at brace but hopefully the lighter mass bow and tips will make up for it. If i can get 170 fps I am gonna be very happy. Anything over 150 is servicable though with 10gpp at hunting weight bow and thats my goal.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:48:48 pm »
yes 150 , you are good for hunting for sure,,will be interesting if you can get more,,  I think getting it to shoot is an accomplishment as well,, the fps will be an added bonus,,

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 07:36:59 pm »
Well i got some pin knots that are causing me grief in the back i didnt see under the bark that are getting worse as i chase sap rings. I am going down a few more rings and see what that looks like. Hope they clean up. If not then i may need to sinew or boo back this but thats not the bow I want it to be. So I may wind up setting this one aside and starting another with a better back. If it doesnt clean up i will come back to it later.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 09:11:00 pm »
you gotta role with the punches,, give her a try,, :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 03:31:22 pm »
Well, I have given up on chasing a sap ring. The pin knots are so soft my scraper cuts right through them every time. So in effort to increase tension strength I am decrowning the back and ignoring the pin knots completely. It will be a sap backed osage board.

And is it me or is there a comment missing from this thread?

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 05:01:48 pm »
Yeah, im sure I recall a post here about percent of strain on the back and amount of working limb. I was half asleep when ilI read it and now its gone. I believe the point was it couldnt be done that short?

As I remember more the post also contained something to the effect of limb thickness and how thon these limbs would need to be. Why was that post removed?

I am boiling in the hooks now. After that a little limb straightening out and then the deflex will be put in. Then i will tiller, pull, and take measurement of poundage and set as I go until its done or or its broke.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:00:15 pm by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 08:02:44 pm »
Putting reflex in the fades has made a splinter lift. Not looking good for this bow. I will try and thin down more to get under the splinter. I will also hope to keep the fade from working now. That sucks.

Lesson to learn here with this style bow. Leave room on the back to thin down so splinter that lift while deflexing the fade can be removed by chasing a ring.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:08:13 pm by sleek »