Author Topic: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)  (Read 37778 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2016, 06:41:17 pm »
Knoll, I'm putting up a pic of a badger quiver that I made a while ago (Mrs claimed it) And these pelts will go toward something similar. Basically "show" stuff. Except the Otter and I would like to make a case for a short bow and arrows in the same unit....need some more research

Thank you Jon, these are on the same order as the osage you gave me....perfect

Gutshot: they are indeed Danzen Bar arrows....they look real good in my beaver quiver (thank you sir) hanging next to the badger set.

Hey Don, Thanks for your sinew help sir.....I'm glad to have friends like you to get me through these "firsts". There is a lot of carving yet to go on your bow and Jons as well. That Eastern and Timber you sent me are really going to set these off.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2016, 08:57:25 pm »
Rich that badger quiver looks nice. Can't wait to see the other pelts finished into quivers

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2016, 08:08:46 am »
Rich,
         That quiver is outstanding! That would make your enemy stand back and look carefully :o....That's some real medicine buddy...
                                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2016, 08:44:51 pm »
Well here is an update....
     Laid that sinew 9 days ago, and it was dry. I'm reluctant to get into how I laid it down for fear of thread hijack.....so I will say it is whitetail back sinew and granulated hide glue.
     I decided to use the short bow (ironwood) to go through the process I want to use on Dons scalloped bow, as well as the method of skinning the sinew on Jons 2 bows.
     I started with a side strip from a big Timber that gutshot give me, I laid down a thin coat of TB-II and laid the damp skin, pressed it down with thumb pressure then wrapped with cotton bandage for 2 hrs. then unwrapped and razor trimmed.....the scallops require a lot of careful cutting for sure. Once the TB was set up I cleaned up the thin edges, cut the grooves between the scallops, then strung it and checked the tiller. It looks OK but will wait till it's fully shot in and tweek if necessary after I'm sure the sinew is all settled in. There are 3 sets of pics....will get a fulldraw up tomorrow. I got it back to 17" and estimate the weight as about 60#.

The Bow is ironwood (dead standing), 32", 3 backstraps for sinew, timber rattler, and a paint scheme from a Potawatomii bow....belly just plain wood.....the last picture is the bow in a quiver to show just how small it really is. Because of this little experiment I can now proceed with the bows for Don and Jon so enjoy the pics fellas.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2016, 08:46:02 pm »
more

Offline half eye

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2016, 08:47:03 pm »
last batch

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2016, 08:48:04 pm »
Killer!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2016, 08:50:34 pm »
very nice work Rich
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline ajooter

« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2016, 10:40:22 pm »
That thing is sweet rich!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2016, 11:17:40 pm »
wow Rich that bow is cool. And. Short. I know how long that beaver quiver is. That bow can't be over 36".  Long.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2016, 08:33:31 am »
      Dangit Rich that is saweeet man...You got my blood boiling now man...Those scallops and that skin combo and the paint scheme are off the chain...I cant wait to see me and Jon's bows as they come along...If my Seneca looks have as wicked as that one I will be totally beside myself...Awesome work :o
                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2016, 10:03:00 am »
Fellas,
    Thanks for the comments, and here are full draw shots
Don, I believe your is gonna be way better sir, the eastern and carved edges should look REAL good, and hopefully Jons belly scallops and the skins will look nice as well.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2016, 10:23:21 am »
Now that's a bendy handle bow.

Offline half eye

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2016, 10:33:54 am »
You are correct sir  8) But the tiller does need an upper limb tweek....showing up a little stiffer than the bottom at full draw.

Now on to the REAL bows,
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2016, 09:54:46 am »
Fellas,
    Made some progress on Dons Seneca. First couple pics are the skins on and just a rough trim, then some close up's of the smoothed and carved thin edge. The last picture is what it looks like in artificial (indoor) light.
    The skins were applied with hide glue, pressed down and wrapped with cotton bandages....and are so tite that you can see every hill&valley and nook&cranny in the sinew...The grip will be wrapped with whitetail rawhide and each tip will have a very thin wrap at the tip end of the skins. The rawhide dries real white so should give a good contrast to the skins and the red-oxide tips....do the wrapping today and finish the carving on the fineals.
rich