Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 5874 times)

Offline Dustinhill

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 01:03:49 pm »
Here's an update on my progress. I removed some wood from the mid to outer limbs. It seems like I still have a lot left to remove before it starts to bend right. Also it definitely took a lot of set already because of my poor Tillering concept. Either way thanks for the pointers everyone, I'm wanted to check to see if it's at least a step in the right direction.
Thanks,
Dustin

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 01:13:22 pm »
Also I only removed wood from "sections 2 and 5". That was a very helpful concept. Final thought... Is the top limb bending more than the bottom one?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 02:34:29 pm »
Your top limb is close, your bottom limb is needs to catch up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 06:22:31 pm »
Here I am drawing it to 14". Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice! If I have evened out the limbs should I just go ahead and draw to 16?
I don't want to lose too much more weight.
Thanks,
Dustin

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 06:33:54 pm »
Also I'm wondering if the limbs are even  ;)

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 02:46:33 pm »
Hi, here's another update. It feels like something is out of whack. The top limb is definitely bending more, but is it bending evenly. Is there a hinge in it? I'm not sure where to remove wood from either limb at this point. I'm almost done, but I'm having trouble evening things out. Any advice is very appreciated. Thanks!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 08:01:11 pm »
That's a huge improvement! Good job!

I would scrape the red area a bit, so it catches up with the weaker upper limb.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 08:05:29 pm »
Thanks! It's funny, I can see when it's wrong but it's hard to tell what to do to fix it. It might be a week or so before I get to work on it again, but thanks for the help! I'll post some more pictures as it progresses

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 10:40:09 pm »
Thanks to everyone who's given me pointers so far, I've learned a lot. With that being said, there is still a lot that I'm unsure about.I have removed wood per everyone's suggestions and wanted to check that i wasn't seeing this wrong. Is the lower limb still too stiff from mid limb out? And the upper limb needs to bend more towards the outer part?
Thanks,
Dustin

Offline ajooter

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 10:56:19 pm »
I think your lower looks good and the upper is a little stiff in the inner 2/3s..that top tip is flexing a little too much.

Just my two cents...looking good tho

Offline ajooter

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 11:04:50 pm »

After loosening up the inner 2/3s on that upper you will probably have to take some even scrapes off the bottom to balance it out and catch it up to the upper.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 11:50:10 pm »
Thanks ajooter, ill try and even it up tomorrow! Do I need to worry about the upper tip? Also I'm confused about one aspect of checking the tiller... I noticed you put a circle on the picture, but another member used an ellipse and said that the parts of my bow beneath the elliptical plane weren't bending enough. Does that carry through to the circle? In other words, What information should I be getting from the picture?
Thanks,
Dustin

Offline ajooter

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 01:16:38 am »
I would think you want a circular tiller on a bow like that....get as much of the bow working as possible.  Have you ever used a tillering gizmo ?  Eric Krewson is a member and he has posted on how he makes his...it's a good tool to make.

I use the circle to get a rough idea where I'm at..helps me see if both limbs are balanced and such.  It can also show hinges starting and or flat spots.  I do tube them as much as I used to...but every once in awhile it helps.

Offline Dustinhill

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »
Thanks for mentioning that, I checked out the article, seems like a very handy tool! I'll have to make one of those.

mikekeswick

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 02:51:15 am »
The bow is parallel  (more or less) in width so your tiller should be elliptical.