Author Topic: Loss of a freind  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Stoker

Loss of a freind
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:20:51 pm »
Last week I had to put down my buddy Luke... Almost 12 year old Irish setter.. Rescued 6 years ago.. Loved to fish, chase cats and BBQ.. A great dog at the archery shoots and black powder events.. A kind soul with the grandkids.. Couldn't bury him in the yard.. Can't dig a hole without big power.. Ms Kerrie had requested cremation.. Will take him to the river this spring.. Fish sturgeon and bbq deer sausage than sprinkle him in the river he loved to swim in.. Probaly the first place he was aloud to be a dog.. Rest in peace my freind..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bubby

Re: Loss of a freind
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:37:18 pm »
That sucks Leroy, ive been there but 8 years later and it still bothers me
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 03:48:13 pm »
My heart always goes out and I understand your grief.  My sincere sympathy, Leroy.  Such giving creatures must have a special place in heaven, I believe. 
1’—>1’

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 04:23:38 pm »
Yea . I wished they would live longer. I had a beagle pass a few years back and I made a bow and named it rabit dog wrote that on the top l9mb and in memory of daisy on the bottom limb. And I like to carry that bow when rabbit hunting at least once or twice a season.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 05:52:33 pm »
I had the same experience when I was a kid. Never have gotten over it.

WA

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 05:55:55 pm »
I hope the memories will carry you through. RIP Luke
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 05:58:46 pm »
Thanks guys for the kind words..
Bob - Great way to remember your dog..
Somewhere out there is a flute I built for the xmas trade a few years ago.. On the piece controlling the air flow I carved a likeness of Luke.. Hopefully he gets to be around the campfire now and again
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:20:40 pm »
Man thats hard to take. So sorry for your loss. Thats one of the sweetest faces a pup can have. My boy is 14 yrs old now and the thought of him passin on is heartbreakin. Dogs are truly mans best friend.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 08:06:21 pm »
Sometimes I think dogs have short lives so they can make room for the next one that needs your love and protection. 

Thanks for allowing this one to be a dog, and a lucky one too!  Fishin', chasin' cats, and barbecue?  Come a day, Luke will stand in the witness box and speak well of you. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 08:14:48 pm »
Man's best friend.Pure devotion to always being there.Sorry about your loss.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 01:34:34 am »
Something about losing a dog that is harder for me than it is losing a person. That probably sounds wrong but I think it has something to do with the quiet unspoken trust, and connection without judgement. I put down my dog Kato more than a year ago when he was bleeding in the middle of the night from a cancerous leg. I don't want to ever do that again.

Sometimes I think dogs have short lives so they can make room for the next one that needs your love and protection. 

Thanks for allowing this one to be a dog, and a lucky one too!  Fishin', chasin' cats, and barbecue?  Come a day, Luke will stand in the witness box and speak well of you. 

My kids got into looking at animals at the humane society site online a few months after he died and I was in no hurry to get a "replacement dog", but then they showed me a puppy with the very similar markings and color as Kato and same breed type. His name on their site was Kato. We had to go look and as we pulled up the lady working brought him out for his walk right on cue. Needless to say we brought him home.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:41:22 am by DuBois »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 02:25:32 am »

Sorry to hear that, but no one, or anything gets out alive.  Sounds like you made his last years, very worthwhile.  I think that is a great idea to spread his ashes, in the river.  I know the feeling, and it is the same with the dogs, I had, and finally lost, and the cats, and any other pet I have had.  I have always, said, if you aren't going to treat a pet, as part of the family, then you really don't need one.  Again, sorry for your loss.

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 04:14:10 am »
Sorry to hear, been there more time than I care to think about and it is tough. :(
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 04:23:26 am »
Sorry to hear of Your loss - never an easy thing to deal with. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 08:44:00 am »
And sorry for your lost buddy. I get carried away sometimes.