Author Topic: Looking at mounting limb to riser now...  (Read 5178 times)

Offline ajooter

Looking at mounting limb to riser now...
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:31:49 pm »

Wondering what is the best splice for a lever?  I assume the splice should be just past the fadeout? 

Second ?....I have about 18" of working limb...how long should my levers be?  The limbs are 1.5 " wide btw...wood is hickory....stave not board form. Looking for about 50#.

Thanks for all the comments in advance.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:53:07 pm by ajooter »

Limbit

Re: Best Splice for Lever and molly dimensions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 07:48:54 pm »
Most people just use a V splice like the first one for levers and you can see the same done for horn bows. The fish tail (is that the name? I forget) is probably going to be a real hassle that far up the limb. If you are concerned, you can always make the splice longer. It is easier to align a V splice with the rest of the bow that far up as well. One concern I have had about this is breakage in a non-backed bow. Most splices like this have a backing material over the top of them, but I have seen two examples off the top of my head of mollies made with inserted levers and no backing material. The one that stuck out was an ash molly with purpleheart levers. Looked hot. The only ones I've made were backed so I didn't fret it breaking.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 07:52:51 pm »
By backed you mean a hard backing? Or just rawhide possible ly?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 08:17:11 pm »
Put it right in the outer fade. A simple v about 3.5 inches long is fine.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:40:00 am »
What do you mean by outer fade Pat?  The end of the v right at the fade transition or center the 3.5" over the fade?   Thanks again. For the comments.

What about lever length?  I was thinking about making an eiffel tower type molly like bushboy...just wondering on lever length with 18" of working limb....I was thinking 6 to 8" levers?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 08:55:55 am »
I've not done a couple of Molle's but I'd suggest lever length anywhere between 1/2 - 1 times the working limb length (so 3/4 working limb length is pro'b a safe bet ;D ).
I'm not sure what is meant by fade... there's the fade from grip to working limb. There isn't really a fad from working limb to lever except over the actual length of the splice itself (and +1 to the simple V splice, bound with thread & glue)
I'm happy to be put right by those have more experience of these.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 09:28:28 am »
Whatever your typical transition from working limb to lever is in the outer limb is the "outer fade". Some people make this almost as dramatic as a handle fade. The splice should occupy this region.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 06:01:14 pm »
I'm with Pat.. this used to scare me, but it works just fine.  I start thickening the limb maybe just before the bottom of the "V" of the splice.  Then get a good fit and wrap it.

I personally like Mollies with a 2/3 working limb, 1/3 lever.  Are you counting the distal fades as part of the working limb? With 18" limbs, 2-3" transition, and an 8"" handle/fades section, 10" levers past the splice would get you in the 66-68" range.  Adjust according to your needs.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 08:18:46 pm »
I ordered some smooth on mt-13..but do I need an epoxy for a lever splice or can one use tite bond 3?  I would be using the v-splice discussed above.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 08:47:18 pm »
Epoxy is always better if you are iffy on your splice cuts which you probably will be until you practice a bit.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 08:58:45 pm »
It wasnt horrible by any standards but will require steam to tighten the joint up.  I'll post some pics in a couple minutes.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 09:00:54 pm »
If you're getting epoxy, just use it. It's just better.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 09:49:22 pm »

Here is the splice and the initial profile of the lever.  The levers are red oak and two different colors of poplar.  I will steam the limb splice and cinch that v together a little better before I slap the epoxy on her.  I used my pull saw to cut the splice and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 10:02:14 pm »
The splices look a little short and wide. I always have them only about 5/8 wide or even less at the opening.  Your outer limb should be tapering abruptly at that point.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 10:08:14 pm »
Ya say that now pat!! Haha...they are 3" long and just shy of an 1.5" wide.  No going back now..just gonna have to see how it goes.  I may be able to cinch the v splice down some and narrow the v on the lever?