Author Topic: needin help  (Read 4199 times)

Offline jayman448

needin help
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:33:50 am »
How do you make people understand why we hunt? I met someone last night who ended up tearin me a new one because i hunt. As far as she was concerned we just call eachother up and go "hey lets watch sonething die today". You and i know its nothing like that at all! But in the future, what are good arguements to have at hand to deter this kind of b.s. concept of harvesting game? What are your similar experiences/things youve learned from simular interactions

Offline Lumberman

Re: needin help
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 12:22:19 pm »
Does she eat meat?

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:32:48 pm »
Simple. Tell her how many times you don't tag game. How you study the animals so closely you know their habits. How much you hate anything that destroys their habitat or damages their population. Talk about how when you do make a kill it is an insanely happy moment but in the same respectful and thankful. I don't feel sad so I've never used that one, when I kill something I treat the moment like how I'd treat it once a friend dies, celebration of the life lived. The fact that some animals I've seen for years and to know what they've gone through I find it much better healthwise to eat them then that farm raised stuff. And I'm not just talking cows and chicken. A vegetarian eats no meat but still has no connection to the land. They don't take into account that the nutrients dumped on to their plants is enough to create an entire dead zone in the ocean. They don't see that everything is truly connected in the way a true hunter does. Hell, even those all super goody goody farms will kill animals or use some type of deterrent or fence to keep animals from their harvest. Which means they took the land from the animals, then killed or continuously chase them away, probably use irragated water which causes all sorts of trouble in creeks and rivers or they put up dams. That's a real nice way to ruin an ecosystem. They all use some sort of manure and a goody goody farm probably uses straight cow poop. Lovely chemical composition that once watered leaks into the soil so they have to add stuff to the soil to remain healthy or it dies and then nothing grows. And that crap(literally) gets into the watershed. Guess what fish need, balanced Ph levels. So then they still killing these streams. Land and water ecosystems are both now damaged all because these people prefer a salad over meat and want their salad all natural but won't use the effort to cultivate their own lettuce crop. Rooftop gardening would be way more common if these people really cared. We don't just kill animals. We connect with nature in a way no other person can possibly understand. Sad part though is today's hunter cares more about all this for the wrong reasons. He'll do it all and then kill that buck named giaganticrackasaurus and then post it to everywhere about his trophy buck he's been watching on trail camera and baiting for years. If you need bait to hunt then you aren't hunting, your harvesting. Nothing wrong with that, just don't call yourself a hunter because your still in the infancy of mankind gathering. The fact that I can trail a deer on dry ground, tell a fox track from a coyote, a cougar from a dog, a squirrel warning bark to a squirrel get out of here, a deer chewed leaf from a rodent, a coyote kill from a cougar kill, a rock turned over for bugs from a rock that naturally rolled down, a sapling that can become an arrow and a stone that can become an arrowhead, how long till sunset and which way is north day or night, where to find game and where to camp out of the way all gives credit to the connection we can hold with the land. So next time someone wants to call you a pycho killer for being a hunter, you ask if they can tell you what happens in a deer herd when the oldest buck dies wether from a gun, a bow or pack of coyotes. Most won't know, more should.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 12:39:51 pm »
The money spent on tags mostly goes to wildlife conservation. Wild meat is better for you than farm raised. Farm raised meat generally lives a far worse life than wild game. If she eats meat then she has no ground to talk. If she doesn't but does have pets that eat commercial pet food she has no ground to talk. If she wears leather she is also off base. Some people won't get it, or flat out refuse to get it.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:53:48 pm »
Honestly, if you have to "make" people understand anything I'd say it's a losing battle.  Best thing to do is just respectfully disagree and if she pursues you to make an issue then that's her problem.  Things live and die.  That's just the nature of life and you didn't make the rules.  I think of Pappy's quote..."If you have to ask you wouldn't understand."  Probably a good fit here.

Did you see that extremely strange PETA commercial from the Superbowl?  Extremism at work.
1’—>1’

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:09:18 pm »
My dad just rented the trailer to a family when they moved in my 13 year old daughter & I was cleaning some pheasants when Lucy grabbed one & started cleaning she steps on the wings & pulls by the legs the girl that just moved in started screaming that we were killers & murders then ran off crying.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:42:55 pm »
"hey lets watch sonething die today".

If someone has an attitude like that nothing you do is going to change their mind. If you're trying to get closer to her ;) ;) lie >:D

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 01:46:42 pm »
 Haha. Not tying to get closer... i think my woman would have my hide for that... (among other things.... >:D ;D ) no i just would like to have good points like this at the ready. Sure as shootin itll happrn again in my life time. And hiw better to protect our hunting rights than to have logical arguements to retaliate with

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:53:29 pm »
Logical arguments don't work on emotional issues. If it's someone you have to deal with on a daily basis then you're probably better off proving that you are a nice person first. If she decides she likes you then maybe she'll try to understand you.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:10:44 pm »
×2what Parnell said , in reality people like that are to irrational to try and have a conversation about it they are right you are erong and facts, FACTS JUST GET IN THE WAY.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 02:37:05 pm »
i have talked to many people about hunting lately and for the most part its about the outdoors, saving money, primal nature and eating real meat not this hormone fed crap.  Many fast food choke and pukes say that their meat is free from Steroids and antibiotics,  and what is in the feed....????

Folks from the farm areas of America,  why are they so healthy and happy.?  They were raised on farm grown produce, meat and eggs etc..   :)  And Their minds are still sharp at 75.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:42:03 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 02:43:41 pm »
I think there's something of an inferiority complex in these  people, their getting a high off of telling us how bad we really are.
Lot's of people need to hate someone to make themselves feel superior.
It's kinda shocking but to many of these people the natural world is something you can visit once in a while but don't touch, better yet watch it on TV.

Kevin .
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »
She must prefer contract killing.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 03:27:23 pm »
The one that gets me is "I'm a vegetarian/vegan because I can't take a life", I always ask them where do they get this non-living food. Is the life of that lettuce any less valuable than your own? Every harvest day is a holocaust to the plants....

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 03:51:34 pm »
I think there's something of an inferiority complex in these  people, their getting a high off of telling us how bad we really are.
Lot's of people need to hate someone to make themselves feel superior.
It's kinda shocking but to many of these people the natural world is something you can visit once in a while but don't touch, better yet watch it on TV.

Kevin .

I bet I could find a post just like this one on a vegan site. Only they would be talking about us. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just because you or I don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. I don't have a dog in this fight so it leaves me free to try and look at both sides. Like I said you can't argue an emotional issue.

This isn't particularly aimed at you Kevin, it was just an example Sorry