Author Topic: Redneck Ramada II  (Read 89019 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Redneck Ramada II
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2016, 09:44:08 pm »
Clint, I've had an itch to build a small teardrop camper for awhile.  I do have an old boat trail.  I never thought of using it for the project.

BTW, I found one of your arrow stuck in 2nd (the small doe) base of the archery baseball field.

Dave, it wouldn't take much work to turn that boat trailer into a flat bed.  I hope you decide to do it.  I'd like to see what you come up with.  Thanks for finding my arrow.  I guess just hold on to it until we meet up again. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2016, 09:47:40 pm »
Stickbender,  The rounded top did give it that gypsy wagon look.  That shape is actually my reflex caul.  I traced it onto the 2x6's for the roof frame. 

We had very strong winds today with gusts over 50 mph.  It was strong enough to blow over our rabbit cage.  I checked out the camper when I got home this evening and it looks like it held up just fine.  So far its been through several thunderstorms and a wind storm with no damage.  There is one small leak but I know how to fix it.  I should stay  high and dry at the Classic.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2016, 09:24:00 pm »
I've seen your mail lady!  :o
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2016, 01:03:43 am »
Clint, if I ever get around to making a camper it will be a cedar strip one with fiber glass covering. I doubt trailer and camper will weight 500 lbs.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline stickbender

« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2016, 10:45:04 pm »
Clint, if I ever get around to making a camper it will be a cedar strip one with fiber glass covering. I doubt trailer and camper will weight 500 lbs.

Dang Boy, you been, I say you been reading my mind? ( Picture Fog Horn Leg Horn, saying that.)  One of the other things on my mental drawing boards, is a little camper, made of cedar strips, using the West system.  It is an X type pattern, with the third layer horizontal.  Very strong system.  It should be about 3/8ths thick.  So should be light enough, for a small trailer.
                                    Wayne

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2016, 09:37:27 pm »
I got the new gasket in the mail this morning and installed the master cylinder.  I bled the brakes and then tested them out.  One side works perfectly.  The other side didn't do anything.  I took the hub off and found the problem.  No brakes!  I'm going to order a new brake assembly for it.  I was expecting both sides to be bad so I was happy it was just the one side. The bearings are in great condition.  I was worried about what they would look like.  The previous owners kept it well greased.

I put down 1/2" insulation on the floor.  It has foil on both sides.  It should keep any moisture out.  I put 1/4" luan over the insulation.  This will have to work as a floor until I put down the laminate flooring after the classic.  Getting the deck boards covered up made a big difference inside.  It feels more like a camper in there now.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2016, 10:27:48 pm »
Well, sounds like you are down to the details. At least it was easy to figure out your one sided break problem. Looking good bud.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:25 am »
Am I the only one who heard Al Bundy yelling "No breaks! No breaks!"? lol

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2016, 09:40:38 pm »
Thanks Patrick.

Urufu, I didn't watch that show so I don't get the joke.  I'll look it up tomorrow at work.

I finished up a lot of small jobs on the camper today.  I caulked a lot of small spots that needed a second coat.  I fixed the leak on the roof hopefully.  I moved some boards on the inside of the back door frame to get a better seal.  I put weather stripping around all the doors and windows.  I finished a first attempt at holding the windows in place while traveling.  Once the caulking dries I'll test it out.  I used some scrap plywood and made a couple of temporary shelves in the front of the camper.  Since the nose is rounded I didn't lose to much floor space. 

I pulled the other wheel hub off to inspect the brakes and bearings.  They looked like they are in good shape.  I found a deal on the big auction site for a set of brakes.  It was going to cost me $55 to get one new brake backing assembly.  I ended up getting a new set for $65.  I'm going to replace both sides so I'll have completely all new brakes. 

I've been using a wobbly chunk of wood for a step.  I took an end cut from an osage log and cut it down to size for a more stable step.  I might try to hollow out the bottom so its a little lighter.  I had to find a way to use some osage on this project.  It's basically ready to hit the road once I get the new brakes put on it.  I'll probably find a few more things to do on it before its time to pack it up. 

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2016, 10:34:38 pm »
Man Clint,  that sure has turned out nice! There is always a few odds and ends to take care of. After you stay in it for a few days you will think of a few more mods to do as well.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2016, 11:06:47 pm »
Just 3 weeks, or less, before launch! Looking forward to a complete tour of the home on wheels.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:09 pm »
Clint, put a lip along those shelves to prevent things from sliding off while traveling. Bungee cord or cargo net might work to hold stuff too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2016, 11:47:27 pm »
Thanks guys.

Pat, I had already thought about putting a lip on the shelves.  I'll stop and get a couple of boards to use. 

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2016, 12:04:39 am »
I looked at my old boat trailer today.  I don't think I would trust putting in all the work on that trailer.  The trailer frame is 2 inch, rusty pipes.  When I step on the main arms of the frame between the hitch and the wheels, it flexes.  The leaf spring/shock system is suspect, also.

Stickbender, I looked up West System expecting to find plans for the "X" layout for the boards, but discovered it is a marine grade epoxy--interesting.  Basically, one would lay out layer 1 in a 45 to 60 degree angle, then layout layer in the same angle by opposite directon to create an X, then the third layer would be horizontal.  Basically, you're creating a very strong piece of plywood out of cedar.  Light and tough, I like it.

Would you still glass the outside or just coat it with the epoxy?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline stickbender

« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2016, 02:10:37 am »
     Hedgeapple,  The west system, is complete, no need to fiberglass, unless you want to add more weight for more strength.  (If you wanted you could lay down the cloth, and brush the west system on it.)  I found out about it, a long time ago, in either Popular, Mechanics, or Science.  It showed how to make a Pram, using the technique.  The guy made a keel, with transom, and square bow. and screwed a board under that, and trimmed it down towards the bow and stern, leaving about an inch or so on each side towards the ends. It is where the ends of the cedar strips will rest, and be epoxied. Then he took plywood, and made the boat shape, but it was not just a cut out rib, it was a piece of plywood, with the bottom, shape, and sides, and  they went down from the larger size in the middle to the smallest size near the bow, and stern.  He then cut a notch in the middle of the bottom, on the forms, and screwed a strip of pine,or plywood to it the forms, and tacked strips on the insides of the forms, at what would be the topside, where the gunnels would go, to hold the forms, and then put bisqueen over it, and then set the keel and bow, and stern on the center of the forms.  Then he took a cedar strip, 1/8th, by one inch, and trimmed the the end at a 45degree angle, and laid it on the board up against the keel.  He then took a plastic packing strap, and laid it at a 45 degree angle, and stapled it to the end of the strip, and into the form.  Then another cedar strip, another strap stapled to that on, and so on down the line, then he stapled the cedar strips, and plastic straps on down to the edge of the sides, when he had completed one side, he brushed on the west system, and while it was drying, he put the strips, and straps on the other side. and when he was finished doing that side, if the first side had dried, he then pulled the plastic packing straps off, which removed the staples, and then went over the first side with the west system, and then laid out more strips in the opposite direction ( X Pattern  ) and did the same plastic strap, and stapling job. and then went to the second side, and removed those plastic straps, and brushed on more West System, and waited for that to dry, and then removed the plastic straps, from the first side, brushed on the West system, where the straps, covered the cedar strip, and then did the same to the second side.  After all the straps were removed, and the West System had dried, he trimmed the cedar strips even with the edge where the gunnel would be, and lifted the hull off of the form, and there was a pram shell that only needed a few ribs, and seats, and gunnels.  The only place where screw were used was on the gunnels, and attaching the seats to the sides, and those screws were then covered with the West system, except for the screws in the oar locks.  They have made full sized sail boats with this system, and they are lighter, and stronger than the fiberglass models, and don't separate from the wood, or leak.  I think I would add another strip layer horizontally for some added strength for an ocean going sail boat.  I want to make a small 10 - 12 ft. fishing boat, in a modified "Wherry"style, using this system.  I also want to make a canoe, and maybe a kyak.  But that is all down the road, as time permits, and I still need to save up to buy a band saw to saw the strips, from the left over cedar deck boards, I have, but I need to make a trestle dining table first, and then I may have to buy more cedar deck boards.  They are 2 X 6 XI think 10 feet long.  Maybe 12, not sure.  Didn't measure them.  Actual thickness, and width is about 1 1/2 by 5 1/2.  So they will be a little wider, than used by the guy to build the pram.  A pram, is a Dinghy, with square ends.
That's how I want to build the travel trailer, using this system.  For the boat, canoe, and Kyak, I want to make the ribs out of laminated cedar strips on top of one another, using the West System,  I can make the the additional layers, less in width, as I layer them, so that there an angled middle in the ribs.  I also plan to do that for the frame of the trailer, but use the full width of the board, rather than the 1 1/2 inch strips.  Anyway, I hope I have explained it clear enough.  It is a simple method, just time consuming cutting the strips, and then stapling them on, and brushing the epoxy on.  You can sand it down, to make it nice and shiny.  Like I said, if you want you can put the fiberglass cloth over the west system, and then coat it with the west system.  Anyway, it will be some time before I can get to these projects, as I have others ahead of them.  But there is always the possibility, that I might just bump one of those projects, and insert one of these projects, but it all has to wait till I can afford a band
saw!  I also have some ideas for a pontoon boat also.  party barge!
                                    Wayne

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:26:10 am by stickbender »