Author Topic: bent Osage tips  (Read 5544 times)

Offline HighEagle

bent Osage tips
« on: February 23, 2016, 01:32:06 pm »
Last week I asked about flipping Yew wood tips. So I ended up using 20min. of steam and it worked super good, so good I was wondering dry heat or steam for Osage? what do you prefer ?  Thanks Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline osage outlaw

Re: bent Osage tips
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:49:14 pm »
Depends on how much of a recurve is being put into them.  Dry heat will work fine for a gentle flip or a little more.  Steep recurves will bend easier with steam and have less chance to crack.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 02:28:28 pm »
Like clintser said a bigger radius you can use dry heat but on a tight static i steam/boil for about 45 min
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 06:58:29 pm »
Boiled the tips on this one for 15 minutes, bent real easy. Need to work quick once you pull it out of boiling water.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 07:34:56 pm »
Boiled the tips on this one for 15 minutes, bent real easy. Need to work quick once you pull it out of boiling water.
I've used a heat gun to help hold the temp up, if up have an extra hand...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 08:51:48 pm »
Glad to see you asked this question Higheagle, as I'm getting ready to try to bend my first statics in some Osage. In yalls opinion between boiling and steaming does one way take longer to rehydrate over the other. I know a lot has to do with humidity, but if both ways were done side by side would there be a time difference. Joe.

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 09:01:54 pm »
Glad to see you asked this question Higheagle, as I am getting ready to bend my first statics in some Osage. In yalls opinion between steaming or boiling does one way seem to take longer to rehydrate over the other? I know a lot has to do with humidity but with all things equal side by side is there a difference.  Thanks Joe.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 11:11:58 am »
  I don't see a difference, Balsatech.  In fact, I will work a steam bent or boiled bow the next day, but I will put a dry-heat corrected bow away for a while....

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 12:03:40 pm »
Do you have a picture of the caul you used? When I bend recurves the last inch or so always stays straight. I'm thinking my caul design sucks.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 03:34:49 pm »
Thanks all, I have done gone with the steam it work so good on the Yew I had to try it on the Osage I worked just as good.. I think I'll have to agree with Springbuck the dry heat you should let rehydrate a bit longer.  I let the Yew set clamped for 24 hrs. my Osage was not as thick and wide as the Yew was and I did not use as much of the radius on my cull. One other thing the Yew sprung back more had to do one over to match the other tip, but the Osage held first time maybe cause it was not as thick and less radius. Thanks All, Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 03:57:06 pm »
These are what I use for bending tips

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 04:08:10 pm »
Not a bad idea red tail

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 04:08:26 pm »
Those are really slick! Slicker than Red Tailed Hawk poop, so the speak. Thanks! Oh, is that leather wrapped around them?

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 04:12:13 pm »
Lol😀😀. Yes leather wrap

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 04:14:01 pm »
This is where the plumber in me meets the bowyer