Author Topic: Wood ID  (Read 3401 times)

Offline DuBois

Wood ID
« on: February 22, 2016, 02:27:52 pm »
Got this from Hedghogit in NE Kansas along with some osage. Yellow more like mulberry but bark kinda like oak. Hedgehog did not know for sure what it was. Straight and about 9 feet long split.

Here it is next to a long osage split (the one on the top of pic).

Looks like good wood to me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Wood ID
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »
Locust is my guess.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:56:05 pm »
Looks like black locust to me.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 03:37:38 pm »
Debark a bit, take some of the cambium, if it's still fresh (white) and smells like fresh green bean pods or green peas, it's likely a locust. Pretty poisonous if it's black locust, so no need to taste it.
If it's dry or brown (dead), tear some fibers from it. (Black) locust will give you very long and flexible fibers. Put some in a cup of hot water, if it smells again like bean pods, it's likely locust. Mulberry will never have that smell. It could be dead already for too long though and not give that smell anymore.

The bark doesn't seem typical for black locust of that size, the flakes look too thin for that size, ridges not deep enough and the color seems too grey instead of light brownish grey. Looks more like honey locust to me.
Don't know the smell of honey locust cambium,  but since it's a leguminous tree too I bet it also has a smell of fresh peas.
Still, could also be Kentucky coffee tree, another one in that family with similar looks.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 03:41:21 pm »
Ok thanks.
Either way I'm gonna keep it and make bows maybe just overbuild them some.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:26:39 pm »
honey locust is my guess from the pictures
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

nsherve

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 09:26:15 pm »
The honey locust I've seen around my place doesn't have bark like that....kinda looks like mulberry to me.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 09:35:58 pm »
Ya know, that area has a lot of hickory but not like this that I can recall.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:01 pm »
Honey locust.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 10:11:57 am »
It seems to be agreed to be locust. I was hoping for hickory but didn't expect it with the color.
Thanks everybody and Hedgehog  ;)

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 11:26:44 am »
Looks like black locust. We have the exact same wood color and bark on BL over here
Time is short

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 11:34:45 am »
Another way to distinguish BL and HL from Mulberry is by use of fluorescence (black light).
Black locust and honey locust will give a bright green glow, Coffee tree will rather give a bright yellow to green glow, and mulberry none at all.
see more: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/fluorescence-a-secret-weapon-in-wood-identification/
Now you just need to find a blacklight  8)

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 01:22:13 pm »
Looks like honey locust

Offline DuBois

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 01:29:37 pm »
Another way to distinguish BL and HL from Mulberry is by use of fluorescence (black light).
Black locust and honey locust will give a bright green glow, Coffee tree will rather give a bright yellow to green glow, and mulberry none at all.
see more: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/fluorescence-a-secret-weapon-in-wood-identification/
Now you just need to find a blacklight  8)

For some reason I can't recall I have one stashed away  8)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 03:49:23 pm »
The wood looks like black locust only a lighter version. The bark  would lead me to rule out black locust though. Were there more of these trees around? I've never seen just one black locust in an area. They shoot runners like gangbusters.

Kentucky coffee tree is my guess. Did you happen to notice thorns at all? They way the thorns grow is an excellent way to tell them all apart in the winter.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna