Author Topic: Uni-Bond and steam  (Read 2163 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Uni-Bond and steam
« on: February 22, 2016, 10:13:48 am »
I've read a few times over the years that URAC and/or Uni-Bond joints can safely be warmed up and manipulated. This weekend I took a bow off my rack I never finished, ended up falling out of love with it. I cut 3" off the length and needed to add a bit of reflex back in as its an RD. I wasn't concerned about wrecking the bow, it was either going to work or not work. It worked, twice. Just some food for thought if you find yourself in a spot similar to mine.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

Re: Uni-Bond and steam
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:08:58 am »
Interesting, how long did you steam it for?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:12:23 am »
10 minutes, I wanted to go 20-30, but knew better than to risk it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:07:27 pm »
I guess you'll see once you string it backup

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »
Yea, you will have to let us know how it turns out

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 12:12:01 pm »
I strung it up an hour later. Shot it bunches yesterday, just lovely now.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »
Good info right there Pearl
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline GB

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 12:52:25 pm »
That's good to know.  That stuff adheres to wood like crazy.  I just finished a wood lam bow that I put a handle overlay on.  After rasping and sanding it smooth, there still was a little ring of Unibond around it that I tried to remove because it doesn't take the color of aniline dye well.  I scraped and sanded until I put a dish in the surrounding wood and still couldn't get rid of it.  Finally gave up. ::)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:59 pm »
Nice save, Pearlie. What wood is the belly? ...and how much bend did you put in and how much remains?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 01:34:36 pm »
Its yew, paduk and boo, Pat. Its the same tri lam I posted last summer/fall. It was 69" ntn then. Now its 64" ntn and shoots much better. It held over half what you see. I'm sure a longer steam would have been much better in that regard, but I'm not a gambling man and a bit of reflex was good enough for me.