Author Topic: Gathering yellow wood  (Read 5545 times)

wvfknapper

Gathering yellow wood
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:29:24 pm »
Here is some pics of the yellow wood I cut yesterday,, 2 trees with some decent staves,, some will require a lot of work but when this stuff is rare as it is here you take what you can get  ;D lot's of bows here.

wvflintknapper

more pics after these, wouldnt let me upload them all

[attachment deleted by admin]

wvfknapper

Re: Gathering yellow wood
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:31:04 pm »
More pics

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:38:31 pm »
Nice Haul.

I think you could have got one more stick in that truck. :D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:44:52 pm »
WOW :o
wanna send me some you have too much ;D >:D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 07:47:18 pm »
thats a nice haul, how does that yellow wood work?  i have not yet had the experience, i dont believe it grows here in FL.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:49:35 pm »
i googled it and nope, not even close FL.   now im jealous ;)
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

wvfknapper

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 07:55:59 pm »
Yeah my little s10 was squatting, glad I only had to drive a couple miles....................Yellow wood is Osage  ::) and I figure it grows in FL , just have to locate it.........It's not native to WV either and was brought in by the settlers I figure for hedge fence rows.. Got a couple more picked out to cut in a few weeks  ;D

wvflintknapper

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:00:49 pm »
Hows the twist WV? Looks like you done good.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

wvfknapper

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:24:11 pm »
Danny

Some of it is gnarly but not a lot of twist,,, some of it had received bark damage years ago and has some dead wood on the outside but all the inner wood is nice,,, This stuff was a beast to split,, I had a friend with me and his 16 yr old son whom helped me with the splitting and loading,, had 5 wedges stuck once  :-\  I kept some of the sections with knots to cut for knife and tools handles,, going back in a  few days and get the rest of the tops for craft wood,, too rare here to leave any  ;D

wvflintknapper

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:21:49 pm »
well then i have lots of experience with it after all.lol, we stilll dont have any around here but i have bought several staves,    i thought yellow wood was something altogether different....i beleive i was thinking of lemon wood.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:25:36 pm »
Robert the only yeller wood up here is the stuff my dogs peeed on ;)
Wanna trade >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:26:28 pm »
WV,

That looks like a good haul. I gaurantee you will be feeling every muscle you used after that work! I'm up in the Eastern Panhandle and I see osage trees every now and then around here. The other year I received permission to cut osage on a property that was adjacent to an old grove where Revolutionary War soldiers used to do their drills.

Congrats on the find and be sure to seal the ends to avoid checking.

Jason

wvfknapper

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »
Ryan

There is a tree called yellow wood also,, for some reason I always called Osage yellow wood  :-\ more yellow than orange.

Dana

That type of yellow wood don't work too well, too much salt and stinks ;D
I will try to cut the handle wood this weekend and seal it and maybe get it out about tuesday.

Jason

Yes I worked muscles that day which I had not used in years,  since I was a logger, reminded me what work really was,, all together counting the ash and pear I will probably get 35-40 staves for a days work....Take advantage of the permission, never know when they might say no or a big Corporation comes in and buries it.

Wvflintknapper

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 11:24:37 am »
It's a good kind of pain though. Twistedlimb I was with you on the yellow wood and thought it was Yellowwood ( Cladrastis kentukea of the Fabaceae family). I had never seen it that big. Someone posted here the other day about it as bow wood. It reminds me a lot of Flowering Dogwood in form and size. Great stash WV!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 11:39:27 am »
Nice work Robert.  I see a lot of that brown in splits from older logs I cut around here.  I guess its wind shakes, sometimes the rot goes all the way into the stave but often it is confined to the inner wood.  I generally split off the inner stuff to see if I can get away from the black cracks.  Couple of those splits must be 8-foot long aren't they?  They're sticking out of your truck pretty good.  And some of those branches might have the best bows in them.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO