Author Topic: Bow making contest ( drawlength changed. Make it to your own draw length )  (Read 32204 times)

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
I've been cutting brush pruning and cutting off some wild apple trees with the idea of grafting some good apples on them. Anyway had a big brush pile of mixed beech, maple, and apple saplings. Meanwhile I'm waiting for some board and stave stock to dry in the house, and that's truly as exciting as watching paint dry!

At lunch I read over the TBB chapter about simple branch bows and got a terrible itch to just go back and chop a piece of that brush, green as it is, into a bow if I could. The day was a perfect early spring day sunny, blue skies with a bit of wind.

So I picked out a pretty straight one about 2" diameter and just hacked at it with the hatchet until it was bow shaped, and had a taper down both limbs -- floor tillering it -- well, no, stump tillering it -- the stump having been the chopping block, too. It was pretty limber being green so I tried not to go too far with the hatchet tillering. Then I scraped off the outer bark with the hatchet -- it came off easily, and then scraped the remaining green stuff off with my pocket knife, until the bow was pure white and smooth.

I found a piece of concrete block, or "urbanite", and used that to rough sand the belly. The three tools used to shape the bow are shown on the stump below along with a sister sapling of the same size. I don't know what kind of sapling this was -- bark was smooth and light gray, so it could have been any one of the three types of saplings I cut. Branches had been removed, so I couldn't check those. But as a guess, it was a maple.

I'm posting it here to maybe break the contest ice. I doubt it will meet the poundage and length requirements since it's only 60" long and less than 2" wide -- and probably over-tillered already, but you know what?

It was FUN to be out there making a bow in the sun on a spring day, end even if it ends up a ten pounder, it was worth the hour or so it took -- playing with a piece of wood, a rock and a hatchet! It was like being a kid again.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:57:59 am by PlanB »
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline sleek

Man alive. Nice lokkin stick and minimum tool list. Love the hell out of that. Thanks bud. Lookin for the full draw soon. You gonna let it dry first or pull it wet? I hope it makes weight for you and turns out a good shooter for you.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Sleek, I'm going to let it dry -- probably will check all over. I'll hit it with linseed oil tonight and hope for the best. It's really a noodle now.

Offline Emmet

Pacific Madrone
This is my project. Cut 2-3 years ago.  Checked bad but mostly on the belly side. 56"  If I can get it to hold together It should be 50# but will only try for 25" since that's what I shoot but  we'll see. I've shaved it down to about 1" thick and glued some cracks so far. Hard stuff.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Emmet that's a tough piece of wood! But I see you turned out some really nice bows --  one from another tough customer. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Thinking about it more, now, seems like a person ought to be able to enter a bow that fits his/her draw length if it's less than 28". I can draw 28" so I'll stick with that, but if somebody like Emett draws less, whatever they draw should be fine for their entry.

And also making the 40 lb just a minimum -- if it isn't already, so 50 lbs is good. At least that's my vote. Up to others, and Sleek of course.

Offline sleek

100 percent behind you on the draw length thing. Make it to your draw length. Honor system applies.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
But I draw like 12 to 13 inches depending on whither or not it's morning or night.  >:D >:D >:D

Plan B, that's awesome! I will do that one day. Looks like a lot of fun.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline willie

and got a terrible itch to just go back and chop a piece of that brush, green as it is, into a bow

+1

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
I mistakenly wrote the original sapling above was 2" wide. Actually, checking the bow today it's 1-1/4 wide, so not much chance it will make weight. And it's still pretty green. Also a maple sapling bow doesn't seem too oddball. So with that in mind I went looking for something odder, wider, and longer. A few minutes into the woods from the back yard and i found a young cottonwood tree about 4" wide. I cut it down and sliced off a piece a little over my head in length, and brought it to my chopping stump and started hacking out another bow. Not much time on it before dinner, but it cuts about with the hatchet about as hard as a chunk of cheese! Pics tomorrow.....

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Here's the cottonwood sapling about 3" dia. -- photo 1

Making lots of chips -- pretty easy with this wood when green. All hatchet work. About 72" long -- photo 2

Photo-3 -- Keeping it wide -- about 2-3/4". I stopped here and got some linseed oil on it. Cottonwood lumber likes to twist and split, in my experience. Fingers crossed.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 12:05:01 pm by PlanB »

Offline Emmet

Making some progress plan b. That stuff sure gets lite when it drys.

I've been working on mine today. I de crowned it to get past the ugliest stuff. I think if it's flat & thin enough it might bend without breaking but has some ugliness still in it.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Ugliness a plus Emmet!  Glad I'm not building alone here....

Nobody else have access to weird wood, or oddball preferences out there..... or are we the only nutz?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Well,  I'm still planning on building mine out of Bradford pear. Most everyone I know says that it won't work. I've got it floor tillered but it's still pretty stiff. Sorry,  no pictures of it yet.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sapling bowyer

interesting post about the cottonwood PlanB. We have lot's here. looking forward. Also I'm working on an all sapwood locust bow pretty damn narrow so if it survives it will be pretty strange
Time is short