Author Topic: Shipping bow staves?  (Read 4619 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Shipping bow staves?
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:03:48 am »
Lots of the members here ship bows and staves all over the place. What is the best method and average cost to ship a stave. I live on the east coast and a post in the trading thread got me to thinking about shipping a stave to the west coast...whats the best way to do it and likely costs?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bubby

Re: Shipping bow staves?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:09:42 am »
Pvc pipe is the safest way, i mostly ship priority usps i know ftom nor cal to Chicago or Michigan it costs around $25
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:34:36 am »
I wrap staves in black plastic with several wraps of duct tape down the length.   Shipping costs range from $15-$30 depending on the weight of the stave and the destination.   I try to keep the length at 70" or less to avoid a balloon charge for oversized packages. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:51:47 am »
I just got one from Washington state yesterday. It said it cost $34 to ship it from there to Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 08:09:16 am »
I wrap staves in butcher paper and shipping tape and ship USPS regular mail. Getting it near the wanted size helps reduce the shipping.
  For bows I ship USPS Priority Mail and use a PVC tube and bubble wrap or plastic grocery bags for padding. It's been a while but I think it costs $15 to $30.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 08:37:10 am »
I have only shipped one stave, it was a massive osage stave that I packed in a carpet tube and didn't insure. Somehow the post office broke it in half in transit.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 08:57:58 am »

I wrap staves in black plastic with several wraps of duct tape down the length.   Shipping costs range from $15-$30 depending on the weight of the stave and the destination.   I try to keep the length at 70" or less to avoid a balloon charge for oversized packages. 

Exactly how I do it and what I pay.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 09:09:16 am »
I think the key is to keep it below the over size fee.  That will really add costs if you don't. I have received one in the mail from Pennsylvania to Michigan and the sender wrapped it in brown heavy paper and lots of clear tape and if I remember right it was around $12.00 shipping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 09:29:12 am »
I recommend using the Post Office, too.  Slow boat shipping will run you half to one third of UPS/Fedex
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 11:07:47 am »
Thanks for the response, I checked at a local UPS Store and I was told that I had to wrap it in clear plastic and shipping would be around $80....I thought that was way off..Thanks again
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 11:19:19 am »
UPS is a rip off if you don't have an account and ship/receive daily.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 11:15:24 pm »
Thanks for the response, I checked at a local UPS Store and I was told that I had to wrap it in clear plastic and shipping would be around $80....I thought that was way off..Thanks again
No problem, Lyman glad I could help >:D
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 01:07:55 am »
A tip for those looking for packaging, try going to a frame shop and asking if they have any boxes/will set aside any boxes they they get moulding in for you.  Typically they're in great shape and are designed to be sturdy but not too heavy, and are used to transport sticks of wood.  ;)  Some places have triangular boxes, others rectangular.  A lot of the time they'll have super thick cardboard tubes too, from customers dropping off posters or as the core of heavy craft paper.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 10:38:29 pm »
 I ship mind in the 4" tube at the center of floor carpet. Carpet world one of the places I pick up mine.

There 8',10' 1/4 inch thick carboard. Easy to saw into the leanth you need. Duck the ends shut.

I'm from WV. it runs at the post office $ 18.00, $ 20.00 this side of the rockies. Other side rockies aroud dobble depending on weight and leanth.

Quite a lot more at UPS. It's been so long sence I've used ups I can remember how much.

Your not making that much for the hard work you do to end up with a # 1 stave.

I just shorten the more for arrows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 11:11:38 am »
Call up some sign shops. the vinyl comes on cardboard tubes. They mostly just throw them out.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.