Author Topic: Recurving board bows? Kerf cutting for recurve?  (Read 18489 times)

Offline lauderw55

Recurving board bows? Kerf cutting for recurve?
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:18:01 pm »
Hello I am fairly new to the forum. I make a lot of board bows and was wanting to try and make one with reflexes tips or recurved. I was wondering if anyone had some good successful techniques of doing this? Like maybe thin the tips down and boil them and bend them around a form and add reinforcement wood to the belly to prevent it from bending? Also have had heard some things about cutting kerfs in to the end to recurve it  that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time !

Offline bubby

Re: Recurving board bows? Kerf cutting for recurve?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:01:00 pm »
Steam/boil get them down to about 1/2" thick and go about 45-60 mins in the steam, I put the tip in the water while it steams. I also soak the tip in water for a couple hrs first, they don't need any wood added unless it's to thin
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:17:57 am »
I've done it with dry heat, steam, boiling, and kerfing. Which method I choose depends on the piece, it's moisture content, construction methods, materials and adhesives used up to that point, if any, and more. The kerfing method is pretty slick, doesn't add any moisture to the wood, or dry it out, plus it really holds the shape. It can be used on selfbows, backed bows, trilams, etc.

The short lam inserted into the kerf can either be ground parallel and tillered to work, or ground to any of various tapers to work less, and even act static.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:10:01 am »
Ok thanks. So dances with squirrels if you would could you explain the process of how you uses erf to recurve the tips on your bows.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 07:32:09 am »
I'm in the process of finishing a bow that I used kerf bending recurves for. It's a black locust stave, and the recurves held nicely with the kerf bending. I put in a contrasting, dark, wood veneer to fill the kerf.

"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 09:21:51 am »
That looks really good. I just a little confused on how actually to do the kerf. Do you just cut the tip in half and clamp it in the form with no heat or steam prior to that. And do you have to have the lamination

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:29:48 am »
Cut the tip in half, clean the cut with sandpaper, put glue in there (a lamination is optional) and clamp in a form.
No heat needed, which makes it suitable for laminated bows, or (sinew/rawhide) backed bows.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:25:26 am »
That is neat. How severe of a bend can you get with that method and can tite bond 3 be used for that. And also do you think a copen saw would be able to make that cut because dont currently have a band saw?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 01:27:26 pm »
hey Lauderw,  what happened to the boo bow??

dont use a coping saw, use a hand saw like a tenon or panel saw...you dont need a band saw.!!! its pretty easy and works well , they dont pull out like steam
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:30:43 pm »
Ok bad is this sounds I not sure what those saws are so I will have Look further into those. And I am getting the materials together for the boo bow Thanks with the help with that btw!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 05:36:21 pm »
Lauderw55, yes, you need the lam to fill the void. I have always used Smooth On epoxy for this job... never tried Titebond. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just that I've never done it. I have a lot more trust in Smooth On for stuff like this.

No heating and bending needed prior to glue up, so long as the pieces are thin enough and able to bend.

I have always used a bandsaw, but I suppose careful use of a good handsaw would work as well.

Regardless of what saw you use, you will need to find the lam thickness that suits the kerf left by the saw. Here's an easy way to do that...

Make or buy a pair of tapered lams that taper down to almost nothing. I usually kerf in about 10-12", so I make those taper lams about 18-24" long, depending on degree of taper. I'll tell you why....

After the kerf is completed in the bow/blank, insert the tapered lam into the kerf sideways, perpendicular to the limb, at the bottom(where the cut ended), and slide it in just until it gets snug. That is the exact size of your kerf, but you need room for glue, so back the tapered lam out just a little bit, until it loosens up just a weeeeee bit, and mark it. Cut it off at that mark. During glue-up, it will be inserted into the kerf until that end, the end you cut, bottoms out in the end/bottom of the kerf. No gaps. No voids. Perfect glue lines.

Start clamping there, at the bottom of the kerf. It will help hold the pieces in place as you work your way toward the tip with succeeding clamps.

This picture is of such a kerfin', but I doubt you'll be able to see it in the picture. I could take a close up of the kerf if you like.

Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 08:09:46 pm »
Yea that looks really nice I can't even tell you used a kerf to make that a recurve. How would you go about making a lamination and I currently just have just hand tools besides a jigsaw? What could happen if you didn't use a lam and try to just fill the gap with glue or perhaps sawdust even? But thanks for the help that was good informative post

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 08:41:12 pm »
The making of a lam and cutting a straight slot of appropriate length may be beyond you with your skill level and available tools.
 A spliced in tip is easier to form and obtain the required degree of tip  set-back.
 V splice it in, underlay the splice and overlay the top with a strip of linen and wrap the whole joint tightly with thin cord set in epoxy.

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 08:56:43 pm »
That looks good and I have been toying with that idea as well. I seen something similar in TBB2 I believe where one the authors glued recurved end on the board bow. Have you had any trouble with it coming loose and could I use titebond 3 for such a job

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 09:04:20 pm »
You could use TB if your v splice is very precise. Epoxy is much more forgiving.
   I've never had one budge. It's a very strong joint.

The TBB one didn't show any action shots. Looked more like a theory. ;)