Author Topic: Clamping dent on back?  (Read 12157 times)

Offline DuBois

Clamping dent on back?
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:30:08 am »
On inspecting my work dry heating in some bend I noticed I had caused a dent on the back of this osage.

I had used a small padded block to shim underneath for a little more bend and the wood was hot where I put the block so even though the block was soft wood it created this.

It is mid limb. Does not appear to have cut any fibers. I have tried to steam it out without results except for getting a red staining around the limb from the red rag I was using  ???

I am considering sinewing but would rather not. I just don't think it is trustworthy as is.

What do you think?

Offline paulsemp

Re: Clamping dent on back?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:42:38 am »
Sometimes those end up being disastrous. I usually use cut pieces of leather on the back. Hopefully its not a problem for you good luck

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:45:16 am »
If it wont come out doobs, I wouldn't use it. That bugger will pop a splinter, bet on it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 09:23:25 am »
Ok, thanks guys.
I won't use it as is but what about sinewed?

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 09:30:31 am »
I have done that a few times but never had a breakage. Guess i have been lucky. Just throw some rawhide on it and carry on. Perhaps use an iron on a wet rag or a heat gun to really put some steam to it. Just know, hot steam dries out wood so it needs to rehydrate.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:43:45 am »
Can you reduce some of the width to remove the dent?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:51:59 am »
Pat, no it is right across the middle.

Kevin, I tried the iron and rag-no luck. So you used yours without backing and it held up?

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:12:37 am »
I did but after reading the other guys comments i wonder if i am just lucky. Way i see it, if you toss it now its junk. May as well finish and pull it. If it breaks oh well, if not, keep it.  I did however do my best to blend in the dent by burnishing the back with most pressure around the edges. I cant see the sent bery well on my phone but i bet if you fade the dent edges out slowly it wont be a sharp stress riser and it will last longer.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:24:50 am »
I have acciDENTally done this a few times.

Early in the 1990s revival of self bowyery, it was common to "bone" the backs of bows. The entire back was worked over with a smooth round object such as a bone or cylinder of  metal to compact the fibers-essentially denting the entire back.

Not mentioned these days, but I have done that to the area around a dent and then just finished up the bow. I've done this a half dozen times and had no ill effects.

Now if the dent has torn the fibers, that's a different story.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:47:14 am »
can you go down to the next ring?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 10:51:32 am »
can you go down to the next ring?

Yeah can you it still looks pretty thick
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 11:42:44 am »
Generally speaking, if the dent is not square edge(broken fibers)  you can burnish it and be fine, but not always.  I wouldn't trust it as a trade bow or put it in someone else's hands, but I'd build it for myself and see what happens.  If you have enough thickness, then doing what Clint said would be the best solution.  It's hard to tell by the picture, but it looks like that piece might have a little curl to it.  It could just be tool marks though. Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 11:54:13 am »
I took some 1/4" pine and cut it into a bunch of small  pieces.  I glued leather onto them and rounded the edges of the leather off.  That's what I use for all of my spacers.  They work great.  I've made small dents from just a piece of leather before. 

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 11:57:05 am »
I have done the same as Clint, but with 1/8" rubber

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »
I've got some of those also Aaaaron, but I'm afraid to use them with a heat gun.  Do you have problems with them melting?